Jun 10, 2013, 6:33 PM EDT
As we learned last week, the couple allegedly had “a little more than a third of a pound of marijuana or 163.9 grams” delivered to their home. Amusingly, the packages in question were addressed to their dog.
Police say postal inspectors tipped them to suspicious packages mailed to the Perez home and arranged a delivery last Tuesday under surveillance. Police say Melanie Perez accepted two packages.
Authorities say Melanie Perez, whose maiden name is Baum, told the undercover officer delivering the packages that they were intended for the family dog, named Brody. The package was addressed to Brody Baum.
The pleas that were faxed today requested that a requirement that the couple appear in person for a June 19 arraignment be dropped. It’s unlikely that the Indians’ closer will face any jail time.
Perez has been sidelined since May 26 with right shoulder soreness. The 27-year-old has a 4.32 ERA, six saves and an 18/10 K/BB ratio in 16 2/3 innings this season.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 9
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 22
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 28
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)