Jun 10, 2013, 9:49 AM EDT
Chris Jaffe of The Hardball Times has his annual look at teams’ ticket surcharges — convenience fees, printing fees, processing fees, whatever — up today, helping you figure out how much you’re really paying for a ducat to each game. It’s a handy post which tells you — after it’s all said and done — what you’re truly paying for a cheap seat at each park.
Fun fact: the only teams left who actually charge you to print you tickets off at home are the Yankees and Brewers. How that costs them anything and how that represents anything other than the most craven gouging I have no idea. But as Jaffe demonstrates, the maze of fees involved is so complicated that a team like the Yankees can say “hey, we charge you to print, but we will mail you tickets for free” and the Brewers can say “hey, we charge you to print but we have no processing fees” and in so doing attempt to come off as reasonable.
Which is the largest takeaway here: these fees are so amorphously-named and their justification so varied that it’s truly hard to tell who is bending you over and who isn’t.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)