Jun 10, 2013, 12:48 PM EDT
There are always lots of stories about NFL war rooms, but I haven’t seen nearly as much about what life is like for MLB teams on draft day.
Corey Brock of MLB.com provides an interesting look at the Padres’ war room. Here’s an excerpt:
A name is called out and a video of a player shot by the area scout himself or cross-checker plays on the video board in the room. The area scout, for example, Salvo, who has been with the Padres since 2008, covers Alabama, Mississippi, southwest Tennessee and the Florida Panhandle, talks about a player — his player — and then is peppered with questions about him. …
As the group discusses a high school pitcher from Southern California, someone in the room asked if the player in question “has an overactive bladder.” The room erupted in laughs. It seems the player heads to the restroom following each inning and no one is quite certain why.
Each brief synopsis of a player finishes with one simple question: “Are you all-in on him?”
Check out Brock’s entire article, because it’s a good read about an under-covered aspect of baseball.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)