Jun 10, 2013, 12:48 PM EST
There are always lots of stories about NFL war rooms, but I haven’t seen nearly as much about what life is like for MLB teams on draft day.
Corey Brock of MLB.com provides an interesting look at the Padres’ war room. Here’s an excerpt:
A name is called out and a video of a player shot by the area scout himself or cross-checker plays on the video board in the room. The area scout, for example, Salvo, who has been with the Padres since 2008, covers Alabama, Mississippi, southwest Tennessee and the Florida Panhandle, talks about a player — his player — and then is peppered with questions about him. …
As the group discusses a high school pitcher from Southern California, someone in the room asked if the player in question “has an overactive bladder.” The room erupted in laughs. It seems the player heads to the restroom following each inning and no one is quite certain why.
Each brief synopsis of a player finishes with one simple question: “Are you all-in on him?”
Check out Brock’s entire article, because it’s a good read about an under-covered aspect of baseball.
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 19
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 62
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)