Jun 10, 2013, 6:06 PM EST
Yasiel Puig was much more of a cleanup hitter than a leadoff man in his first week of the majors, and now he’s one officially, as the Dodgers have inserted him behind Adrian Gonzalez in Monday’s lineup.
The lineup was announced not long after Puig was named NL Player of the Week for smashing four homers in his major league debut. He hit .464 with 10 RBI in his seven games as a leadoff man last week. However, even though he had nine hits and a walk to go along with those four homers, he had just the four runs scored. The Dodgers never drove him in during any of their seven games.
With Puig batting cleanup, the Dodgers have Nick Punto leading off tonight.
If will be interesting to see if Puig gets many strikes to hit from left-hander Wade Miley while batting ahead of Jerry Hairston Jr. and Andre Ethier. Hairston has a good rep against lefties, but he’s batting .233 with no extra-base hits against them in 30 at-bats this year. Ethier has always struggled against left-handers and is slumping again just about everyone right now.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)