Jun 10, 2013, 6:06 PM EDT
Yasiel Puig was much more of a cleanup hitter than a leadoff man in his first week of the majors, and now he’s one officially, as the Dodgers have inserted him behind Adrian Gonzalez in Monday’s lineup.
The lineup was announced not long after Puig was named NL Player of the Week for smashing four homers in his major league debut. He hit .464 with 10 RBI in his seven games as a leadoff man last week. However, even though he had nine hits and a walk to go along with those four homers, he had just the four runs scored. The Dodgers never drove him in during any of their seven games.
With Puig batting cleanup, the Dodgers have Nick Punto leading off tonight.
If will be interesting to see if Puig gets many strikes to hit from left-hander Wade Miley while batting ahead of Jerry Hairston Jr. and Andre Ethier. Hairston has a good rep against lefties, but he’s batting .233 with no extra-base hits against them in 30 at-bats this year. Ethier has always struggled against left-handers and is slumping again just about everyone right now.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 47
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)