Jun 11, 2013, 11:22 PM EDT
Bryce Harper was spotted with a big brace on his troublesome left knee Tuesday morning in the Atlanta airport, on his way back from a visit to the office of one Dr. James Andrews. Which led many to speculate that Harper might have undergone some sort of knee procedure. But that’s not the case.
Nationals trainer Lee Kuntz clarified Tuesday to James Wagner of the Washington Post that the brace was part of a program of rest and that Harper was found to have no structural damage in his left knee during his time at Andrews’ facilities. Harper was given platelet-rich plasma treatment and a cortisone shot to help with his patellar bursitis.
“These are all good things,” Kuntz told the Post. “We want him to rest the knee, that’s why we put him in the immobilizer. We’ll reevaluate him in one week’s time and if everything’s a go then we will resume activity with him and get him going as quickly as we can. … We’ll see how it responds and we’ll go from there.”
Harper was officially placed on the 15-day disabled list on June 1, retroactive to May 27. He was eligible to return for Tuesday’s series opener in Colorado but is obviously going to need at least another 10 days.
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 11
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 96
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 16
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (96)