Jun 11, 2013, 11:22 PM EDT
Bryce Harper was spotted with a big brace on his troublesome left knee Tuesday morning in the Atlanta airport, on his way back from a visit to the office of one Dr. James Andrews. Which led many to speculate that Harper might have undergone some sort of knee procedure. But that’s not the case.
Nationals trainer Lee Kuntz clarified Tuesday to James Wagner of the Washington Post that the brace was part of a program of rest and that Harper was found to have no structural damage in his left knee during his time at Andrews’ facilities. Harper was given platelet-rich plasma treatment and a cortisone shot to help with his patellar bursitis.
“These are all good things,” Kuntz told the Post. “We want him to rest the knee, that’s why we put him in the immobilizer. We’ll reevaluate him in one week’s time and if everything’s a go then we will resume activity with him and get him going as quickly as we can. … We’ll see how it responds and we’ll go from there.”
Harper was officially placed on the 15-day disabled list on June 1, retroactive to May 27. He was eligible to return for Tuesday’s series opener in Colorado but is obviously going to need at least another 10 days.
Jul 4, 2015, 11:20 PM EDT
But not even science could master the knuckleball.
Jul 4, 2015, 10:45 PM EDT
Kris Bryant had a monster night at the plate on Saturday against the Marlins.
Jul 4, 2015, 10:26 PM EDT
Jarred Cosart had a rough outing on Saturday and will try to straighten things out at Triple-A.
Jul 4, 2015, 10:15 PM EDT
The Orioles got Jonathan Schoop back after nearly three months. They sent Ryan Flaherty to Triple-A to make room for him.
Jul 4, 2015, 9:25 PM EDT
The Braves are trying to shop an expensive, ineffective Chris Johnson.
Jul 4, 2015, 9:07 PM EDT
The Twins added some bullpen depth in signing Scott Atchison to a minor league deal.
Jul 4, 2015, 8:35 PM EDT
The Giants tried to get creative to catch Bryce Harper napping off of second base.
Jul 4, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
John Axford is back with the Rockies, ready to continue closing out games.
Jul 4, 2015, 6:55 PM EDT
Ervin Santana is back. Trevor May’s rotation spot has been freed up to make room for him.
Jul 4, 2015, 6:05 PM EDT
Avisail Garcia robbed Chris Davis of a home run. It was as glorious as it sounds.
Jul 4, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT
Ross, 38, is batting .189/.302/.284 over 87 plate appearances this season.
Jul 4, 2015, 4:25 PM EDT
Matt Holliday has been sidelined since June 8 with a Grade 2 strain of his right quadriceps muscle.
Jul 4, 2015, 3:18 PM EDT
Miguel Cabrera is going to be missed while he’s out with a Grade 3 strain of his left calf, but the Tigers are getting by just fine so far this afternoon against the Blue Jays.
Jul 4, 2015, 2:42 PM EDT
Norris has a 6.79 ERA over 11 starts this season.
Jul 4, 2015, 1:45 PM EDT
Beth Fedornak claims to have suffered “permanent or continuing injuries in her neck and back” as a result of the mascot’s actions.
Jul 4, 2015, 12:39 PM EDT
Nationals right-hander Stephen Strasburg exited today’s start against the Giants in the top of the fourth inning due to an apparent injury to his left side.
Jul 4, 2015, 12:39 PM EDT
Bauer also had a heck of an at-bat in the process.
Jul 4, 2015, 12:09 PM EDT
It’s only noon on the East Coast, but Nationals slugger Bryce Harper is already setting off fireworks.
Jul 4, 2015, 11:49 AM EDT
The Tigers have no great internal options to replace Miguel Cabrera and not much with which to trade.
Jul 4, 2015, 11:28 AM EDT
Alderson says Collins isn’t to blame for the Mets’ lack of offense.
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 2
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 17
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (89)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)