Bryce Harper photographed in a big knee brace, but apparently did not have surgery

Jun 11, 2013, 1:39 PM EDT

A college student named Deshaun Smith had his picture taken with Bryce Harper in the Atlanta airport this morning as Harper made his way back from Dr. James Andrews’ office. That thing on his left leg is … noticeable:

That doesn’t look like something that one who was a borderline call to go on the DL in the first place would wear. And certainly got Nats fans worried when Mr. Smith’s picture started making the rounds this morning.

Scott Boras, however, told Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post that Harper underwent “no operative procedures” while seeing the good doctor and that the brace was a precaution.

Still, the Nats haven’t been terribly forthcoming about Harper’s injury, so it’s understandable that people will speculate. And, perhaps, not take Scott Boras’ word as gospel.

1. rickdobrydney - Jun 11, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Bottom line is that Bryce has to tone down his game just a notch —-or he will be spending a TON of time on the DL. You know—–intensity with smartness—–

• APBA Guy - Jun 11, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Rick-I got hammered a few weeks ago for suggesting the same thing in another thread about Bryce, even mentioning Rusty Greer and Eric Byrnes as admittedly lesser talented guys who played too hard and had shortened careers.

But I’m with you in this sentiment. Texas told Hamilton the same thing after a couple of serious injuries: tone it down, staying healthy and productive on the field is more important than saving a play here or there.

And as Ron Shandler says, staying off the DL is a talent, too.

2. goskinsvt - Jun 11, 2013 at 1:42 PM

• darthicarus - Jun 11, 2013 at 1:49 PM

I was actually thinking something along those lines…but I’m not a Dr. so I kept my mouth shut. Thanks Dr. Ray!

• yashraba - Jun 11, 2013 at 2:23 PM

I’m not a doctor but I completely tore my meniscus and MCL 1.5 yrs ago and can confirm that the brace shown is the same DonJoy immobilizer that was given to me post-surgery. Basically just keeps you from flexing the knee so the muscles can heal, or in the case of pre-surgery get strong enough so you can succesfully start rehab.

And since he’s walking on it the day after he most deinfitely did NOT have any surgical repair done, probably “just” a strain(although still probably sore as hell).

• JB (the original) - Jun 11, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Don’t know for sure, but gotta disagree with you on the ‘walking on it means no surgical repair’ comment. I had 25% of one meniscus removed on Mar 1st, along with a complete detailing on the interior of my knee (cartilage damage, ligament ‘claning’, floaters, arthritic buildups, etc.) The interior “before” pictures looked like one of those self contained terrariums there was so much going on in there. I not only walked out of the same day surgical suite, I had no brace. Now before someone gets all “lousy doctor” on me, this was performed at probably the most renowned Orthopaedics center in the state. Now if by repair you mean that of a torn ligament, I agree with you.

• yahmule - Jun 11, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Yep. I walked on a scoped knee the same evening and this was over 20 years ago. Had an unrepaired ACL tear in there, too. I still have a brace like that in the closet. Think I wore it a total of a dozen times.

3. specialkindofstupid - Jun 11, 2013 at 1:43 PM

It’s just a flesh wound.

• sportsfan18 - Jun 12, 2013 at 3:21 AM

Achmed!!!

4. DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 11, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Nats fans – welome to our world. All is fine with the player, its just mechanics, all is fine……until we are told he has been injured for the past 2 months

5. illegalblues - Jun 11, 2013 at 1:44 PM

the nats are extremely weird about injuries. looks like the pressure of an expected successful season has really gotten to management.

• nolanwiffle - Jun 11, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Good grief….

• pdowdy83 - Jun 11, 2013 at 2:34 PM

As a Nats fan I can say that they have been “weird about injuries” for several years and it has nothing to do with “the pressure of an unexpected successful season”. The only difference is that people actually pay attention to them now compared to when nobody did.

• illegalblues - Jun 11, 2013 at 2:40 PM

i can respect that

6. historiophiliac - Jun 11, 2013 at 1:54 PM

I’m with you, Craig. How did he think he was going to pull off those hideous camo shorts? So much for Mr. Fashion Plate.

• illegalblues - Jun 11, 2013 at 2:10 PM

wtf is wrong with camo shorts? some people like to be able to nap around bushes without being rudely interrupted

• historiophiliac - Jun 11, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Well, obviously, if he’s trying to be stealth, he should be wearing *airport* camo.

• illegalblues - Jun 11, 2013 at 2:13 PM

maybe he plans on going to the brush soon. i can’t read his mind, i ain’t gonna say something i MIGHT regret

• illegalblues - Jun 11, 2013 at 2:15 PM

what if the airport has a splendid floral area to promote good humidity and clean air. he could nap there. could’ve just been getting a snack.

• historiophiliac - Jun 11, 2013 at 2:17 PM

In Atlanta? I’ve been to that airport. Then, again, he might’ve been trying to blend in with the Bubbas.

• illegalblues - Jun 11, 2013 at 2:28 PM

anything is possible. a man that wears camo pants is prepared.

• heyblueyoustink - Jun 11, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Hey hey hey!

Leave camo shorts alone!

( Some of us like having half our legs strangely hidden )

• historiophiliac - Jun 11, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Oh, honey, I leave camo shorts alone alright.

• heyblueyoustink - Jun 11, 2013 at 2:18 PM

If the exposed portion of the legs were nice enough, wouldn’t you be curious? ;-)

• historiophiliac - Jun 11, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Oh, yeah, sure. When I let my eyes drift down that far, yeah.

• professormaddog31 - Jun 11, 2013 at 2:35 PM

OK…I’ll bite. What’s wrong with camo shorts? I don’t have a problem with them.

• historiophiliac - Jun 11, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Dude said he aspired to be a cover boy. Camo will not cut it there. No, no, no.

• vivabear - Jun 11, 2013 at 3:25 PM

To be honest, compared to the kid in the picture – Bryce is the way less idiotically dressed one. What’s with the pink socks?

• historiophiliac - Jun 11, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Socks?

• vivabear - Jun 11, 2013 at 4:16 PM

I think – why, do you think they’re leg warmers?

• heyblueyoustink - Jun 11, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Ah, so that’s it. The camo offsets the leg warmers. All is well in the world.

• historiophiliac - Jun 11, 2013 at 6:31 PM

I did not look down at their feet.

7. randygnyc - Jun 11, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Donjoy knee braces can be for meniscus or ligament tears. Different braces for different injuries. I went with a custom Lenox hill derogation brace instead of donjoy after I tore my ACL.

8. buddysguys - Jun 11, 2013 at 3:46 PM

the hype is contained for now.

9. natslady - Jun 11, 2013 at 5:00 PM

I have this exact brace from a (traumatic) knee replacement–that is, a knee replacement due to injury. The surgery was five years ago and I still use it when I have to walk a lot, so I don’t get as tired and have as much pain.

10. mplsjoe - Jun 11, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Scott Boras said Harper underwent “no operative procedures”? I know lawyer double-talk when I hear it, and “no operative procedures” sounds like lawyer double-talk. Such talk is usually done to hide something. I’m not sure what might qualify as “surgery” but not as an “operative procedure[]” – maybe arthroscopic surgery isn’t technically an operation because the patient isn’t put under? – but I’m thinking Boras is up to something.

Bo Porter just first casualty around MLB