Jun 11, 2013, 10:28 PM EDT
Jim Callis of Baseball America reports that the Cardinals have agreed to terms on a contract with their first round pick from last week’s first-year player draft, Gonzaga left-hander Marco Gonzales.
Gonzales got $1.85 million, which is slightly under the recommended signing bonus for the 19th overall pick (which is where he was selected on Thursday night). Considered by many to be the most polished pitcher in this year’s draft class, Gonzales could move very quickly through the Cardinals’ farm system. He has a low-90s fastball and a well-developed changeup, which is a nice arsenal for a lefty.
The 21-year-old native of Fort Collins, Colorado posted a 2.80 ERA, 1.20 WHIP and 96/25 K/BB ratio in 106 innings this season as a junior. He also hit .311 with a .375 on-base percentage in 167 at-bats.
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 10
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 31
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (106)