Jun 11, 2013, 10:28 PM EST
Jim Callis of Baseball America reports that the Cardinals have agreed to terms on a contract with their first round pick from last week’s first-year player draft, Gonzaga left-hander Marco Gonzales.
Gonzales got $1.85 million, which is slightly under the recommended signing bonus for the 19th overall pick (which is where he was selected on Thursday night). Considered by many to be the most polished pitcher in this year’s draft class, Gonzales could move very quickly through the Cardinals’ farm system. He has a low-90s fastball and a well-developed changeup, which is a nice arsenal for a lefty.
The 21-year-old native of Fort Collins, Colorado posted a 2.80 ERA, 1.20 WHIP and 96/25 K/BB ratio in 106 innings this season as a junior. He also hit .311 with a .375 on-base percentage in 167 at-bats.
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 34
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 133
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)