Jun 11, 2013, 8:25 PM EDT
Major League Baseball is doing that thing again where they pick an American League and National League captain for the Home Run Derby and then let those captains round up a team of competitors. That system got Robinson Cano booed last year in Kansas City because he did not select host city favorite Billy Butler as one of the American League batters. But there will be nothing of that sort this year at the Mets’ Citi Field because David Wright is already signed up. Here’s the promo poster from MLB’s official Twitter feed:
This year’s Home Run Derby will take place on July 15. The 2013 All-Star Game is the next night, July 16.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12