Ian Stewart probably tweeting his way out of the Cubs organization

Jun 11, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT

UPDATE: Sullivan reports that Stewart may face a fine or a suspension as a result of his tweets.

12:30 PM: I have no idea what plans the Cubs have for third baseman Ian Stewart, but after a series of pessimistic tweets about his future last night, highlighted by Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune, I’m guessing those plans don’t involve a long tenure in their organization.

Stewart, apparently frustrated that he’s still down in Iowa rather than in the bigs, offered a series of tweets in response to his followers in which he voiced his belief that the Cubs were content to let him rot in the minors and then non-tender him:

Then, when asked why he doesn’t think the Cubs will call him up, he pointed at the team’s manager, Dale Sveum:

Maybe all of that is true. Maybe the Cubs don’t have plans for him and maybe Dale Sveum doesn’t like him. But no matter the case, you have to figure that the Cubs aren’t happy with Stewart waxing pessimistic about his future in the wee hours and sharing his views of club politics with the public like this.

1. berseliusx - Jun 11, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Stewart’s got nothing to lose with the org at this point anyway, he might as well dare the FO to cut him. Blasting your FO isn’t going to make you look very good to other orgs, but neither is putting up crappy numbers while being third on your team’s depth chart at 3B in AAA for a whole season.

2. pjmitch - Jun 11, 2013 at 12:38 PM

I will say it again…I don’t understand why athletes tweet. There are a lot more negatives to it than positives. Stupid.

• heyblueyoustink - Jun 11, 2013 at 12:46 PM

He’s a Cubs Whistleblower!

• splintchesthair - Jun 11, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Brick, do you REALLY think he’s a whistleblower, or are you just naming things in the news and saying they’re related to baseball?

• raysfan1 - Jun 11, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Or…he could be taking a hot topic from the news and making a joke on a baseball blog with it.

• heyblueyoustink - Jun 11, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Brick?

And I don’t think we need a whistleblower to show us the Cubs are, and have been, kind of dysfunctional.

• heyblueyoustink - Jun 11, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Rough crowd, go take a xanax.

• Jeremy T - Jun 11, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Yes, “Brick”

3. jonrox - Jun 11, 2013 at 12:42 PM

I wonder if he knows that he isn’t very good at baseball

• josemartez - Jun 11, 2013 at 12:50 PM

I wonder if he knows he isn’t very good at spelling.

• historiophiliac - Jun 11, 2013 at 12:59 PM

I’m kinda surprised cuz he looks so literate.

• 18thstreet - Jun 11, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Yes, but that twitter user name rocks.

4. yahmule - Jun 11, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Tweets better than he hits and he doesn’t tweet for shit.

• jobusbartender - Jun 11, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Nice!

5. jrazz22 - Jun 11, 2013 at 12:58 PM

These types of “Tweets” should be called “Twits”

6. DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 11, 2013 at 12:59 PM

I think he thought he was on HBT…sounds more like a rant you would find here. Not that I know about such things ;)

Not very smart, Mr. Stewart

• historiophiliac - Jun 11, 2013 at 1:03 PM

You don’t think some of our arguments spill on to Twitter?

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 11, 2013 at 1:30 PM

I have a Twitter handle for “HBT purposes” (and I think I am following you), but I am so rarely on it that one, I wouldn’t know :)

But this is the year I am goign to start….hmmm….maybe I’ll even log-in now…

• historiophiliac - Jun 11, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I use mine for my history stuff and some culture exchanges. I don’t put a lot of baseball on it out of consideration for my non-baseball friends. But, I’m sure some of the people on here have raging debates about baseball-y things. I kinda feel like that’s what HBT is for, and save it for this. :)

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 11, 2013 at 1:54 PM

I have to follow twitter for work – which sorta makes it hard to have it open for personal purposes. And yea….doubt my boss wants me inane babbling about Dom Brown vs. Harper clogging up our work Twitter feed

• historiophiliac - Jun 11, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Fascists!

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 11, 2013 at 2:29 PM

You can argue on something called a twitter? I love arguing! Where do I buy a twitter?

• historiophiliac - Jun 11, 2013 at 2:32 PM

It’s in your heart. When you get all worked up, it just goes a-twitter. paperlions doesn’t use it. ;) he he

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 11, 2013 at 2:37 PM

And with a dizzying spin move she somehow turned that innocuous bit of neo-luddite nonsense into a paperlions-bound stiletto.

• historiophiliac - Jun 11, 2013 at 2:58 PM

What stiletto?

7. koufaxmitzvah - Jun 11, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Can’t stand Twitter, but that’s a great handle. Back in my mailroom days (or is it daze?) I worked with a guy named Stew, and we all called him Beef.

And Beef hated it.

• 18thstreet - Jun 11, 2013 at 3:00 PM

I hated twitter until I figured it out a little better. It takes work (well, “work”) to find the right number of accounts you want to follow and the right ones. But for that first month or so, it’ll suck.

8. steve7921 - Jun 11, 2013 at 1:04 PM

I bet Dale would like you if you could actually hit!!

9. senioreditor2 - Jun 11, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Dude is hitting .164 in AAA, he’s lucky to be on any team!

• paperlions - Jun 11, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Exactly. If at 28 you can’t hit AAA pitching, and you haven’t hit MLB pitching at all since 2010, when you were still below average, you have no room to bitch.

10. raysfan1 - Jun 11, 2013 at 1:30 PM

It amazes me how many people don’t understand that what is put Twitter, or even Facebook, is now in the public domain. If you would not speak it into a microphone in front of a bunch of reporters, then don’t put it in writing in social media.

11. xpensivewinos - Jun 11, 2013 at 1:30 PM

He seems to have overlooked that other tiny issue that may be factoring in……………you know, the fact that he sucks and has sucked for his entire career.

12. ezthinking - Jun 11, 2013 at 1:55 PM

The Rockies have to be laughing with DJ LeMahieu and Tyler Colvin (last year played well and now called up) contributing at the MLB level while Stewart and Casey Weathers never making an impact, even at AAA.

13. jwbiii - Jun 11, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Hoyer says he will be fined and suspended but not released.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 11, 2013 at 2:28 PM

No way they could release him after that – you can’t reward that kind of behavior.

14. 13arod - Jun 11, 2013 at 3:00 PM

he was hititing 150. in the majors thia year don’t you thing that there is a reason that you are in triple a

15. thegreatstoneface - Jun 11, 2013 at 4:04 PM

yet another example of a person who has no clue why they’re in the position they’re in, no idea what steps to take to fix it…and looking for excuses.

nice.

16. wonkypenguin - Jun 11, 2013 at 4:34 PM

My first thought in situations like this is very simple: Who in the hell follows Ian Stewart on Twitter?

17. ajkrauter02 - Jun 11, 2013 at 11:01 PM

“There going to let me rot…” Seriously bro, there? THEIR is proper English for what he’s trying to say… I can’t believe how many people can’t get there/their/they’re figured out! And to put it on social media for everyone to see how freaking DUMB you are… What a joke. Maybe you need to give up your big league dream (you’re hitting below .170 in AAA) and go back to 4th grade where this lesson is taught.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win