Jun 11, 2013, 8:52 AM EDT
First Joe Maddon called John Lackey a guy who was normally a good teammate, then called him a friend and hoped he’d stay a friend. But then he called him out for plunking Matt Joyce in the back. From Pete Abraham of the Globe:
“So he intentionally hit him when he did, there’s no question in my mind that he did, and the sad part is that I’ve always considered Lackey a good teammate, but right there he can get one of his own players hurt … it was inappropriate to hit Matt on purpose, and furthermore because one of them can get hurt. So that’s being a bad teammate as far as I’m concerned. In the past, he was always a good teammate. That was really a bad moment for him tonight.”
All of this was the result of a sixth inning plunking that was likely payback for Joyce hitting a home run in the first and then admiring what Joyce thought would be a home run in the second but wound up a foul ball. There were side-eyes and jawing and all of that stuff.
“Trying to come in there get him off the plate,” Lackey said.
Oh those baseball players.
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 15
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 33
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 15
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- David Price dominates Twins as Tigers win AL Central 30
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)