Joe Maddon says John Lackey is a bad teammate

Jun 11, 2013, 8:52 AM EST

Joe Maddon AP

First Joe Maddon called John Lackey a guy who was normally a good teammate, then called him a friend and hoped he’d stay a friend. But then he called him out for plunking Matt Joyce in the back. From Pete Abraham of the Globe:

“So he intentionally hit him when he did, there’s no question in my mind that he did, and the sad part is that I’ve always considered Lackey a good teammate, but right there he can get one of his own players hurt … it was inappropriate to hit Matt on purpose, and furthermore because one of them can get hurt. So that’s being a bad teammate as far as I’m concerned. In the past, he was always a good teammate. That was really a bad moment for him tonight.”

All of this was the result of a sixth inning plunking that was likely payback for Joyce hitting a home run in the first and then admiring what Joyce thought would be a home run in the second but wound up a foul ball. There were side-eyes and jawing and all of that stuff.

Lackey’s response:

“Trying to come in there get him off the plate,” Lackey said.

Oh those baseball players.

1. Jason Collette - Jun 11, 2013 at 8:56 AM

” he can get one of his own players hurt” — Maddon uses that line every time one of these incidents happen but there has never been any retaliatory actions done the following day.

• paperlions - Jun 11, 2013 at 9:24 AM

In addition, Maddon is the guy that said his team never throws at guys in retaliation (which, of course, is pure BS, every team does). So….Joe, how, exactly, do you think he’s going to get one of his own players hurt?

Also, talking about players not on your team = not what a good manager does.

• js20011041 - Jun 11, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Maddon’s a fucking hypocrite. He talks out of both sides of his mouth and yet he still gets fawned over because he’s that manager of a stat-geek friendly team. I’m surprised he didn’t call Lackey “cowardly.” I guess that term is so 2012.

• nolancatholicfb - Jun 11, 2013 at 11:38 AM

When I read that I couldn’t tell if it was a veiled threat about a retaliatory or if he was referring to the fact that a teammate could get hurt if a brawl broke out after Lackey hit Joyce.

• indaburg - Jun 11, 2013 at 4:08 PM

They get hurt during the ensuing fight. But I hear you. What Maddon should have said was nothing.

• paperlions - Jun 11, 2013 at 4:12 PM

The reason it feels more like a “we are going to hit one of your guys” comment is that it refers specifically to getting “ONE of his own team mates hurt”. Why one and only one, why only mention his team mates and not for players on either team possibly getting hurt?

Maddon is a really smart guy, I don’t think it was loose phrasing.

• indaburg - Jun 11, 2013 at 4:33 PM

I see your point, but I think it is semantics. If the Rays retaliate, in the ensuing melee, multiple guys could get hurt, not just the one hit.

Maddon will not order anyone hit. He doesn’t have to. He knows how his pitching staff is, and they’ll protect their own. It wasn’t a threat. It was likely a warning. There’s a big difference.

I think it’s stupid, which is why Lackey shouldn’t have fired the first shot over some misconceived slight (Joyce does not have a reputation for showboating). The other side always feels like they have to retaliate, or else they look like France circa 1940. Baseball brawls as symbolism for warfare. Discuss.

• skeleteeth - Jun 11, 2013 at 9:24 AM

First thing I thought of when benches cleared was Pedroia and his fucked up hand.

• deathmonkey41 - Jun 11, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Cursing makes the baby Jesus cry.

2. oimakkamio - Jun 11, 2013 at 8:58 AM

But yet when he had his pitcher hit Coco Crisp a few years ago that was ok…or is he a bad manager? Bottom line it happens in baseball. It didnt look like he was a bad teammate, the entire Red Sox Bench was right there. Get over it John, just because ESPN and the 4 fans in Tampa think you’re a good manager, doesnt make it so….

• indaburg - Jun 11, 2013 at 11:59 AM

You think Maddon told Shields to plunk Coco? Do you know James Shields at all? No one told Shields to do a damn thing.

I think this is much ado about nothing. People are cherry picking. He said Lackey is normally a good teammate but last night was not his best moment. He didn’t say that Lackey is flat out a bad teammate. What is incorrect about this statement? Lest I be accused of being a total homer–I know I am not exactly completely objective–I will add that I believe that nothing good can come of saying this to the media. The words no comment would have been appropriate. Sometimes silence speaks louder.

3. jm91rs - Jun 11, 2013 at 9:22 AM

So in saying that hitting someone on purpose is going to get a teammate hurt, he’s obviously saying someone on Lackey’s team is going to get hit. Somehow he justifies hitting someone in retaliation for being hit, but not hitting someone in retaliation for show boating?

All of this intentionally throwing at people is getting old.

• Paul White - Jun 11, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Precisely. Lackey acted like an asshat…if you don’t want someone to “style” after hitting a homer, then make better pitches…but it’s pretty hypocritical for Maddon to tacitly threaten retaliation while in the act of condemning retaliation.

4. josemartez - Jun 11, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Finally saw the highlights. To me he wasn’t really admiring the one that went foul. He looked more annoyed that it went foul. And it was foul by a lot. Regardless, retaliation (which this clearly was) because someone hit a homerun off you is childish.

• historiophiliac - Jun 11, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Taking it out on a teammate of the person who hit a home run off of you is even more childish.

5. Detroit Michael - Jun 11, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Tangentially, I thought the umpire did a good job not being too trigger happy the rest of the game. Peralta of the Rays and Mortenson of the Red Sox both had brushback pitches that may or may not have been intentional. To the umpire’s credit, he let the players play as long as no one was hit.

6. sophiethegreatdane - Jun 11, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Davey said it best: Weird Wuss.

7. deathmonkey41 - Jun 11, 2013 at 9:43 AM

One person that wouldn’t have agreed that Lackey is a good teammate is his cancer-ridden ex-wife he walked out on. Do we really need to argue whether this guy is an asshole or not?

• sandpiperair - Jun 11, 2013 at 10:08 AM

I know that people rally around those fighting cancer (and rightly so), but unless you have all the details, this is something that you have no business talking about. It’s a personal matter between Lackey and his wife. Don’t use it as evidence for your argument about what a jerk he is, because you really don’t know the circumstances.

• deathmonkey41 - Jun 11, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Oh please. Stop with the holier than thou stuff. He left his wife while she was in the middle of cancer treatments. He’s beligerent with the press, was reportedly a big reason Francona was fired, and is known as a chronic complainer. If you can’t tell the guy is an asshole just by listening to him for 5 minutes, then you need to get your asshole radar fixed.

8. stlouis1baseball - Jun 11, 2013 at 9:56 AM

It seems Joe has the market corned on contradictory shit talking.

• heyblueyoustink - Jun 11, 2013 at 10:11 AM

No no, now I know you know who *really* has that market cornered.

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 11, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Point taken Blue.
        Let me clarify…
        He has the market cornered among MLB Managers and those not residing in a large White house.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 11, 2013 at 10:37 AM

President Obama only talks shit with AGM-114 Hellfire Missiles fired by unmanned airborne lawnmowers.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 11, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Actually I should correct myself – he will also occasionally have his “shit talk” delivered personally by Seal Team Six, lest you forget.

• heyblueyoustink - Jun 11, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Yes, he was provided intelligence and acted on it.

Wonder why her couldn’t apply that elsewhere, well, except domestically of course. It appears he’s got eyes and ears everywhere.

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 11, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Blue: Shhh!
        We can NOT discuss the IRS issues, the AP phone tapping issue OR Benghazi.
        You do realize the sun rises and sets in our fearless leaders ass and everything he is involved with is not only handled correctly…but completely above board. Right?

• heyblueyoustink - Jun 11, 2013 at 7:07 PM

The house where liberty goes to die.

That he promised transparency, and then doubled down on the opposite.

It takes a special kind of partisan to stand behind a man like that.

9. stlouis1baseball - Jun 11, 2013 at 9:57 AM

corned = cornered

EDIT. FUNCTION.

10. unclemosesgreen - Jun 11, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Joe Maddon knows John Lackey well, knows that Lackey prides himself on being a good teammate, and chose his words specifically to wound Lackey and try to distrance him from his Red Sox teammates.

• indaburg - Jun 11, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Hence, Maddon is a genius.

11. tbbucs621 - Jun 11, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I love how people say Madden is not a good manager, but are fans of teams with large payrolls and have been over .500 in decades. We may not be in the playoffs each season, but since the end of 2007 we have been good and continue to be good with limited funds. I loved how ESPN had the crowd noise down to make it seemed no one was there, but that place was louder than that. The local broadcast had good fan audio and you could hear the fans.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 11, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Where have you been – Burgie’s been lonely.

• indaburg - Jun 11, 2013 at 4:13 PM

So, so lonely.

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 11, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Make no mistake….I absolutely think Joe Madden is a good manager.
      I think his players love him too. I also think he talks a tremendous amount of shit and seems to contradict himself regularly.

• indaburg - Jun 11, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Maddon doesn’t order retaliations. He doesn’t have to. He basically hands these guys a blank check and says go crazy shopping. They police themselves. Why do you think guys love playing here? He puts people in a position to succeed, then backs off and sees if his crazy experiments and statistical manipulations work. He’s not always right–I’m not a Nats fan. I do point out failings in my house. I agree he shoulda said nothing and since he is friends with Lackey maybe had a word personally at some point if he felt the need. Now Maddon is a very smart man. If he said something, it’s for a reason. I may not like it, but he’s up to something.

Now, he won’t tell them NOT to retaliate. He’ll probably just leave it up to the individual pitcher to do what he feels he needs to do. I hope the stupidity ends, and we beat them senseless where it counts, the scoreboard. That part isn’t going so well. You have no idea how much I was willing Joyce to hit a HR last night.

• oimakkamio - Jun 11, 2013 at 11:02 AM

how many world series? but let me guess low payroll…yeah that ship has sailed…

• bobwsc - Jun 11, 2013 at 11:13 AM

too bad they can’t deaden the sound of those GD cowbells

12. unclemosesgreen - Jun 11, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Love Maddon – he’s the best. His statement reminds me of another kind of conversation.

You should buy our insurance – But I already have insurace – But you also need to buy our insurance, we make sure nothing happens – But what’s going to happen? – Something could happen – Like What?? – Bad things. Bad things could happen. To someone.

13. andreweac - Jun 11, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Do good teammates eat fried chicken and drink beer when not playing in a game? (Sarcasm).

14. bowltr - Jun 11, 2013 at 11:50 AM

C’mon don’t you all know Joe Maddon is the smartest guy in the room? The jack$$ should be thanking Lackey for the only WS ring he will ever win because that laughing stock of a team in Tampa will never win one.

Smart guy he is bunting with the winning run on 3B……….absolutely brilliant move. Come back from 6 down and take the air completely out of your team by bunting.

Oh that reminds me: from a post a few entries above mine: Maddon’s a fucking hypocrite. He talks out of both sides of his mouth and yet he still gets fawned over because he’s that manager of a stat-geek friendly team.
    Check this out: http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/13/joe-maddon-i-think-the-bunt-is-an-overrated-play/

If that’s not hypocritical I don’t know what is.

STFU Joe!

• onermedboxer - Jun 11, 2013 at 3:37 PM

You ever consider the possibility the meager-swinging, fleet-footed Sam Fuld decided to bunt on his own?
      It’s difficult reading these poor comments

• bowltr - Jun 11, 2013 at 4:44 PM

• bowltr - Jun 11, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Seems to prove my sarcasm doesn’t it, you know about Maddon being the smartest guy in the room? If Fuld sux so bad, which he does, then why does genius Joe not hit for him?

15. onermedboxer - Jun 11, 2013 at 12:23 PM

It’s a shame everyone is blowing up on Maddon when Lackey is in fact a bad teammate.
    I have seen this guy lose his cool when a fielder makes an error, even if he has been pitching like garbage. I can say without doubt that I would hate playing behind Lackey

16. jackweho - Jun 11, 2013 at 3:48 PM

After reading most of these posts, I have to say that as a compilation they are the most inane, vulgar, uninformed comments about any given article I have ever read. Adding up the IQ of all 35 posters wouldn’t equal 100.

• bowltr - Jun 11, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Why you can count………………impressive.

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 11, 2013 at 5:10 PM

That’s for that incredibly insightful, ever positive contribution Jack.
      You are a breath of fresh air. Stay positive!

17. jnichls - Jun 11, 2013 at 6:59 PM

You want the truth?

You can’t handle the truth.

You’re damn right I ordered the Code Red.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3201)
  2. J. Kang (3073)
  3. C. McGehee (2793)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (2764)
  5. J. Upton (2749)