Jun 11, 2013, 11:02 AM EST
As we noted over the weekend, the Braves will have a starting pitcher glut when Brandon Beachy comes back from Tommy John surgery in the next week or so. But as Dave O’Brien reports, the one guy in the rotation with bullpen experience — Kris Medlen — is not at all interested in moving back to the pen:
“I’ll let it be known that I don’t want to go down there (to the bullpen),” Medlen said. “I don’t. At all. But it’s out of my hands. I mean, if it happens, obviously it happens. I’m a team player.”
Well, I suppose a true team player would make that objection a private thing rather than tell it to a reporter, but OK.
I think that, unless the Braves want to ease Beachy into things with some bullpen time — something of which there has been no indication whatsoever — you have to move Medlen to the pen for a bit. For one thing, he was doing it a year ago. For another, it’s worth mentioning that he only pitched 130 or so innings last year and if he keeps on his current pace as a starter he’ll be way over 200. Maybe this would be good for him.
No matter the case, I can’t remember a team who has been reported to have too many viable starting pitchers ever truly suffer for having too many. I can remember a lot of teams described that way who, when it was all said and done, needed every last one of those allegedly surplus arms.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 286
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (287)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)