Jun 11, 2013, 9:14 PM EDT
From MLB.com’s Carrie Muskat comes word that Cubs righty Kyuji Fujikawa underwent Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery, as expected, Tuesday afternoon in Alabama. The procedure was performed by Dr. James Andrews, who deemed it a success.
Fujikawa made only 12 relief appearances this season for the Cubs before straining the ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow. He signed a two-year, $9.5 million free agent contract with Chicago this past winter after spending 12 years dominating Japan’s top pro league. That two-year deal with the Cubs includes a vesting option for 2015.
Fujikawa, 32, is unlikely to pitch again for the Cubs until the middle of the 2014 season.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (80)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (77)