Jun 11, 2013, 9:14 PM EDT
From MLB.com’s Carrie Muskat comes word that Cubs righty Kyuji Fujikawa underwent Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery, as expected, Tuesday afternoon in Alabama. The procedure was performed by Dr. James Andrews, who deemed it a success.
Fujikawa made only 12 relief appearances this season for the Cubs before straining the ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow. He signed a two-year, $9.5 million free agent contract with Chicago this past winter after spending 12 years dominating Japan’s top pro league. That two-year deal with the Cubs includes a vesting option for 2015.
Fujikawa, 32, is unlikely to pitch again for the Cubs until the middle of the 2014 season.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 67
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 58
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 51
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11