Jun 11, 2013, 9:14 PM EST
From MLB.com’s Carrie Muskat comes word that Cubs righty Kyuji Fujikawa underwent Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery, as expected, Tuesday afternoon in Alabama. The procedure was performed by Dr. James Andrews, who deemed it a success.
Fujikawa made only 12 relief appearances this season for the Cubs before straining the ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow. He signed a two-year, $9.5 million free agent contract with Chicago this past winter after spending 12 years dominating Japan’s top pro league. That two-year deal with the Cubs includes a vesting option for 2015.
Fujikawa, 32, is unlikely to pitch again for the Cubs until the middle of the 2014 season.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 75
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)