Jun 11, 2013, 9:14 PM EDT
From MLB.com’s Carrie Muskat comes word that Cubs righty Kyuji Fujikawa underwent Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery, as expected, Tuesday afternoon in Alabama. The procedure was performed by Dr. James Andrews, who deemed it a success.
Fujikawa made only 12 relief appearances this season for the Cubs before straining the ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow. He signed a two-year, $9.5 million free agent contract with Chicago this past winter after spending 12 years dominating Japan’s top pro league. That two-year deal with the Cubs includes a vesting option for 2015.
Fujikawa, 32, is unlikely to pitch again for the Cubs until the middle of the 2014 season.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 105
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8