Jun 11, 2013, 3:15 PM EST
Seattle ranks dead last among AL teams with a .607 OPS from the catcher position and the Mariners will try to fix that glaring weakness by calling up last year’s No. 3 overall pick, Mike Zunino.
As a college star Zunino was always expected to move quickly through the minors and indeed he’s the first position player from the 2012 draft class to reach the majors, but his performance has hardly screamed out for the promotion. He’s shown excellent power with 11 homers and 12 doubles in 47 games at Triple-A, but Zunino hit just .238 with an ugly 59/14 K/BB ratio and .303 on-base percentage in the hitter-friendly Pacific Coast League.
He’ll probably be an improvement over what little the Mariners have gotten from their catchers so far, but that isn’t saying much and improving a 28-37 team seemingly shouldn’t take precedence over a 22-year-old top prospect clearly needing to hone some pretty crucial skills. Whatever the case, Zunino is arriving in the majors after just 91 games in the minors and almost exactly one year after being drafted.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)