Jun 11, 2013, 3:15 PM EST
Seattle ranks dead last among AL teams with a .607 OPS from the catcher position and the Mariners will try to fix that glaring weakness by calling up last year’s No. 3 overall pick, Mike Zunino.
As a college star Zunino was always expected to move quickly through the minors and indeed he’s the first position player from the 2012 draft class to reach the majors, but his performance has hardly screamed out for the promotion. He’s shown excellent power with 11 homers and 12 doubles in 47 games at Triple-A, but Zunino hit just .238 with an ugly 59/14 K/BB ratio and .303 on-base percentage in the hitter-friendly Pacific Coast League.
He’ll probably be an improvement over what little the Mariners have gotten from their catchers so far, but that isn’t saying much and improving a 28-37 team seemingly shouldn’t take precedence over a 22-year-old top prospect clearly needing to hone some pretty crucial skills. Whatever the case, Zunino is arriving in the majors after just 91 games in the minors and almost exactly one year after being drafted.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 20
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 75
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 141
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)