Jun 11, 2013, 4:02 PM EDT
Wandy Rodriguez left last Wednesday’s start after just 14 pitches with forearm soreness and now, six days later, the Pirates have placed him on the disabled list. Because the move is backdated he’ll be eligible to return next week, but that’s far from a sure thing given the injury.
It’s a tough loss for the Pirates, as Rodriguez has thrown 138 innings with a 3.66 ERA since they acquired him from the Astros in the middle of last season.
Of course, the Pirates are no doubt hoping that by calling up top prospect and former No. 1 overall pick Gerrit Cole to fill in for Rodriguez there won’t be much of a dropoff. Cole will make his big-league debut tonight against the Giants, in Pittsburgh.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 13
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Blue Jays, Giants “taking their best shot” at Chase Utley 19
- Baseball is dying, you guys (149)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)