Jun 11, 2013, 4:02 PM EDT
Wandy Rodriguez left last Wednesday’s start after just 14 pitches with forearm soreness and now, six days later, the Pirates have placed him on the disabled list. Because the move is backdated he’ll be eligible to return next week, but that’s far from a sure thing given the injury.
It’s a tough loss for the Pirates, as Rodriguez has thrown 138 innings with a 3.66 ERA since they acquired him from the Astros in the middle of last season.
Of course, the Pirates are no doubt hoping that by calling up top prospect and former No. 1 overall pick Gerrit Cole to fill in for Rodriguez there won’t be much of a dropoff. Cole will make his big-league debut tonight against the Giants, in Pittsburgh.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)