Jun 11, 2013, 4:02 PM EST
Wandy Rodriguez left last Wednesday’s start after just 14 pitches with forearm soreness and now, six days later, the Pirates have placed him on the disabled list. Because the move is backdated he’ll be eligible to return next week, but that’s far from a sure thing given the injury.
It’s a tough loss for the Pirates, as Rodriguez has thrown 138 innings with a 3.66 ERA since they acquired him from the Astros in the middle of last season.
Of course, the Pirates are no doubt hoping that by calling up top prospect and former No. 1 overall pick Gerrit Cole to fill in for Rodriguez there won’t be much of a dropoff. Cole will make his big-league debut tonight against the Giants, in Pittsburgh.
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 61
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Rosenthal proposal: make relievers face more than one batter per appearance (74)