Jun 11, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
Madson has been throwing off flat ground, but he’s clearly sick of what is now a two-year recovery from Tommy John surgery, telling Gonzalez:
I’m just frustrated. I really don’t have any answers. I just really want to pitch, really bad. I’ll do anything. Anything. But it seems like there really isn’t much to do, other than let it heal.
When the Angels signed Madson to a one-year, $3.5 million deal in November they did so with the intention of making him their closer, but now he’s 14 months removed from surgery and potentially in danger of not throwing a pitch for a second straight season.
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 9
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 1
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 45
- Twins prospect Byron Buxton done for season after concussion 3
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)