A sinkhole appeared behind the Rangers pitching mound

Jun 12, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT

Rangers Ballpark Sinkhole Baseball

No, Michael Young didn’t return to Texas to play shortstop. It was a legit sinkhole:

A busted pipe under the infield at Rangers Ballpark has created a sinkhole right behind the pitcher’s mound.

On-field batting practice was canceled for both the Texas Rangers and Cleveland Indians while workers tried to fix the problem 2 1/2 hours before Tuesday night’s scheduled game.

They did fix it and it went off fine. Which caused the Indians to have to go out and win the game rather than rely on a man-made, Bull Durham-style rain delay to put a stop to their losing streak.

1. xmatt0926x - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Screw you Craig! You’re always trying to belittle Michael Young by leaving out all of his accomplishments. I’ll have you know that he’s also a sinkhole at 3rd base and occasionally 1st base for my Phillies this year. He’s a leader my friend! That steely-eyed look he has after he grounds into yet another double play can make a man quiver in his boots. I don’t know what I like more about him. Maybe it’s that John Lackey bulldoggishness or that aww shucks, american pie Frenchy Francour thung he has going. So take that Craig!

• heyblueyoustink - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:40 PM

While I’m getting tired of the singles machine with the shrinking batting average myself, I do, sincerely hope, that upon retirement, he seeks you out and delivers an atomic wedgie to you repeatedly.

• heyblueyoustink - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:48 PM

I meant for Craig, the above message is for him. Damn multi-tasking.

• historiophiliac - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:59 PM

I think you’re holding up remarkably well considering that you haven’t been able to hear the voice of Glen Beck for a few days.

• heyblueyoustink - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Oh dear lord. if you think I take heed to him I have completely misrepresented myself.

• historiophiliac - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:38 PM

You said you listen to fringe voices on both ends. He’s about as fringey as you can get, I do believe. I understand he actually did his show with flash cards. It is a loyal audience that would sit through that.

• heyblueyoustink - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Don’t get me wrong, I gave him a chance.

• stex52 - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Thumbs up, Matt. While I miss having a sarcasm font, reading something like your little note and puzzling it out makes it much more fun.

2. beefytrout - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:23 PM

What about the sinkhole in the batter’s box? I’m more worried about that one.

3. mc1439 - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Hopefully some Rangers fell in the hole and couldn’t be found cuz fuck the stRangers.

4. albertmn - Jun 12, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Could have been pretty dangerous if it had been found because someone ran over it and fell in during a game.

5. ckhoss29 - Jun 12, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Pretty sure the Indians losing streak ended last night 5-2.

6. superpriebe - Jun 13, 2013 at 12:09 AM

If this sinkhole didn’t force you to link this article from BP by Sam Miller “Where the Pit Would Go If There Was a Pit”, then you just never read it and need to now. One of the funniest baseball pieces ever.

“….our pit is for us. Our pit exists because we are cruel, awful people, and look at that dude fall! Putting the pit just outside the batter’s box is the best way to watch people fall. Batters must already perform a fairly complex act (complex both physically and cognitively) and then run immediately at full speed, while (in practice, if not by instruction) watching a moving ball travel through space. A left-handed batter would have do this while his momentum takes him directly into the pit. A right-handed batter would have to do this while trying to leap over the pit.

Casualties (Estimate): Two hundred thousand.”

• superpriebe - Jun 13, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Sorry, the link, if you are so inclined….

7. artisan3m - Jun 13, 2013 at 8:33 AM

The Rangers have been very disappointing over the past two weeks. I guess if a team is going to have a slump then now is the time to have one. But errors are up, bats are cold, and hitting the ball out of the infield is a rarity. Yes I know that the team is plagued with injuries ~ ~ but the injured aren’t playing so that dog won’t hunt very far. There are more sink holes in Arlington than the one on the field.

8. gloccamorra - Jun 14, 2013 at 12:59 AM

This is obviously an omen for the Rangers. Are there any psychics here who can puzzle it out?

Three legends off to Cooperstown