Jun 12, 2013, 6:35 PM EDT
From beat reporter Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer comes word that Phillies catcher Erik Kratz underwent surgery on Wednesday afternoon to fix a medial meniscus tear in his left knee. He’s expected to need 6-8 weeks of rest and rehab, which plots his return for sometime near late July or early August.
Kratz suffered the meniscus tear on Saturday during the Phillies’ 4-3 loss to the Brewers. The 32-year-old was batting .229/.290/.436 with eight home runs and 22 RBI through his first 43 games this season.
Humberto Quintero and Steven Lerud will share time behind the plate until Carlos Ruiz is recovered from his severe right hamstring strain. Ruiz is still at least 10 days away.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (127)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (100)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)