Jun 12, 2013, 10:34 AM EDT
Like Ten Cent Beer Night, this is another anniversary worthy of celebration: 43 years ago today Dock Ellis pitched a no-hitter while tripping on acid.
As I’ve said before, I don’t think this is something to mock for mocking’s sake or celebrate for celebration’s sake. Drug jokes are too easy and, at the risk of sounding like a square, athletes really shouldn’t be hurling baseballs at people while under the influence of mind-altering drugs. But I do admire it in “wow, it’s amazing the stuff that happens in this world.” It should never have happened, but it did and oh my God, what else is possible if that is possible? It’s kind of an exciting thought if you let go of your hangups about stuff for a few minutes.
Anyway, while a lot of people like to post that animated video of Ellis talking about his no-hitter, I think Todd Snider’s “American’s Favorite Pastime” is the greatest ode or remembrance of the event that there is, if only for the refrain of “you can’t judge a book by its cover.” Ellis certainly fit that description.
Happy LSD no-hitter day, Dock Ellis. Wherever you are, I hope you’re doing the do.
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 4
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 17
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 23
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- Zack Greinke’s scoreless innings streak ends at 45 2/3 7
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)