Lenny Dykstra likely to be released from jail this weekend

Jun 12, 2013, 11:32 AM EDT

Former Major League baseball player Lenny Dykstra appears in Los Angeles Superior Court for an arraignment in San Fernando, California Reuters

Hide your kids, hide your wife, hide your kids’ signing bonus, hide your wife’s pension plan …

Lenny Dykstra, the troubled ex-Phillies star, is espected to be released from a California prison Sunday, 15 months into his 3-year term, according to sources.

Dykstra pleaded no contest in October, 2011 to three grand theft auto charges and one count of filing a false financial report, just the latest in a series of downfalls in a tragic slide.

That from Philly.com (seen over at The Fightins).

I’m sure that 15 months served on a three-year sentence for a guy who has committed all manner of fraud and any number of no-good deeds will be sufficient to put him on the straight and narrow.

1. baseballici0us - Jun 12, 2013 at 11:34 AM

This just in: Meadow Soprano has just been admitted into Witness Protection.

On Jun 12, 2013, at 11:32 AM, HardballTalk <comment-reply@wordpress.com> wrote:

• heyblueyoustink - Jun 12, 2013 at 11:40 AM

God bless the California Penal system.

I’m surprised Richard Ramirez wasn’t released by accident before his passing.

• yahmule - Jun 12, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Surprising Schwarzenegger didn’t kick him loose. Mr Tough Guy granted early paroles to more murderers than all other California governors combined.

• heyblueyoustink - Jun 12, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Well, he *was* Conan the Barbarian.

2. greymares - Jun 12, 2013 at 11:35 AM

should be writing for H.B.T. when he gets out he’s good at stealing money.

• anotheryx - Jun 12, 2013 at 11:49 AM

It took me a few tries to get what you were trying to say. Complaining about “writing” with that piece of work kinda killed the joke, I’m afraid.

• historiophiliac - Jun 12, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Maybe some punctuation would’ve helped…

3. specialkindofstupid - Jun 12, 2013 at 11:36 AM

I’ve been looking for someone new to handle my financial portfolio. It can’t be a coincidence I read the news Dykstra is being released moments before I was about to check for “financial guru” ads on Craigslist.

• badintent - Jun 13, 2013 at 1:12 AM

Lenny is qualified to be an investment banker for Goldman Sachs. Or JP Morgan.They rip off their own clients being “market makers ” and “marking the tape” so they always make money on every trade.Private club called the 1 percenters

4. jayscarpa - Jun 12, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Hide the women and children…and farm animals.

• dwrek5 - Jun 12, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Hide yo kids, hide yo wife, cuz they be financially raping everyone up in here.

5. Old Gator - Jun 12, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Maybe he could get together with Denny McLain and start up an employment service. Jules has probably burned out on walking the Earth by now.

6. rbj1 - Jun 12, 2013 at 11:56 AM

California is under order from the US S.Ct. to reduce its overcrowded prisons, so yeah, non-violent felons do get released early.

Brown v. Plata 131 S.Ct. 1910

7. junglerat524 - Jun 12, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Well that was quick

8. indaburg - Jun 12, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Thanks for the warning. I’ll hide myself.

9. billybawl - Jun 12, 2013 at 12:12 PM

It’s amazing to me that even some people trusted Dykstra’s investment advice. Jim Cramer promoted Dykstra for a time — draw your own conclusions there. But if you could ever smell a jail sentence coming, it was when Dykstra published his “Players Club” magazine.

I see similarities with the rise and fall of Curt Schilling — though I suspect Schilling was just not competent, whereas Dykstra was stealing credit cards, etc. But in both cases, people mistakenly assumed that the extreme confidence that carried these athletes to success on the playing field would translate to profits in the business/investment world. Nope.

10. schmedley69 - Jun 12, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I saw an interview with Dykstra about 5 years ago where he was asked if he considered himself a Met or a Phillie, and he emphatically replied “I’m a Met, dude!!” So for now on, please refer to him as “ex-Mets player Lenny Dyksyra.” Thanks.

• stex52 - Jun 12, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Or keep it simple. Ex-convict.

• brewcrewfan54 - Jun 12, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Ha! Zing!

• historiophiliac - Jun 12, 2013 at 12:50 PM

“Illegal”

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 12, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Exactly – he is an Ex-Met. W.S. Ring from those days, he left the Phillies on bad terms. He is a Met. A Met.

• henryd3rd - Jun 12, 2013 at 4:54 PM

When you’re a Met, You’re a Met all the way, From your first cigarette, To your last dyin’ day. Kudos to Stephen Sondheim

• jwbiii - Jun 12, 2013 at 3:01 PM

The linked story is from the Philadelphia Inquirer. I’m sure that you can find a similar story on a New York related website which would refer to him as an ex-Met.

11. orangandblack - Jun 12, 2013 at 12:59 PM

I’m sure if the Phillies added him to the current roster, he’d out-hit Ben Revere

12. sincitybonobo - Jun 12, 2013 at 3:09 PM

HBO Real Sports did a classic- if ultimately misguided- profile of Lenny at his peak of supposed financial acumen. It was complete with a tour of Gretzky’s old house, the story of his car wash, etc. Very entertaining.

The follow-up was a bit more realistic The furniture was gone and dozens of lawsuits had been filed alleging that Lenny was a crook who avoided paying bills and harassed women, The worst allegation I read was that he convinced either a pilot or a flight attendant on his private jet to charge jet fuel on his or her credit card.

I’m sure he’s glad to be out of the joint, but the future doesn’t look to promising for Nails.

• henryd3rd - Jun 12, 2013 at 4:58 PM

I can see him violating his parole and ending up back in the joint! He can’t help himself. He’s a pathological liar and well as a thief. How’s he suppose to make restitution to all those folks he screwed?

• badintent - Jun 13, 2013 at 1:17 AM

He could run ads on Backpage.com as a gigolo. Or open a BioBullcrap clinic. I’m betting on the latter.

• anthonyverna - Jun 12, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Who needs “Arrested Development” to poke fun at Jim Cramer when videos like this one are still around?

• mazblast - Jun 12, 2013 at 11:57 PM

I enjoy watching or listening to Cramer (in small doses), but I never, ever follow his advice without due diligence.

Nor should anyone follow anyone’s advice without doing their homework.

• badintent - Jun 13, 2013 at 1:23 AM

This is soooooooooo good ! Thanks.Makes me wanna break out singing the “The Wall Street Hustle” song from the 80’s

• abaird2012 - Jun 13, 2013 at 8:14 AM

You mean 10CC’s “Wall Street Shuffle” … from the 1970s?

13. Sports King of this world - Jun 12, 2013 at 5:04 PM

I was wondering what ever happen to this dude

14. zemongoose - Jun 12, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Hopefully, the sodomy did him some good…

15. kev86 - Jun 12, 2013 at 7:45 PM

86 mets! Best team ever and not on roids ( other drugs only). Let’s Go Mets!

• mazblast - Jun 12, 2013 at 11:58 PM

OK, how do you know that team didn’t have roiders on it?

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3420)