Jun 12, 2013, 3:52 PM EST
Not surprisingly the gruesome-looking finger injury that Marco Scutaro suffered last night turns out to be pretty serious, as the Giants announced that he has tendon damage called “mallet finger.” Seriously, there’s a Wikipedia page about it and everything.
The typical recovery timetable is 6-8 weeks, but Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com reports that the Giants have yet to place Scutaro on the disabled list because there’s some hope that he can play through the injury.
In the meantime Tony Abreu is starting at second base and batting second in the Giants’ lineup tonight.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 12
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 32
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 103
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 45
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (103)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)