Jun 12, 2013, 3:52 PM EDT
Not surprisingly the gruesome-looking finger injury that Marco Scutaro suffered last night turns out to be pretty serious, as the Giants announced that he has tendon damage called “mallet finger.” Seriously, there’s a Wikipedia page about it and everything.
The typical recovery timetable is 6-8 weeks, but Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com reports that the Giants have yet to place Scutaro on the disabled list because there’s some hope that he can play through the injury.
In the meantime Tony Abreu is starting at second base and batting second in the Giants’ lineup tonight.
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 0
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 5
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 53
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)