Jun 12, 2013, 3:52 PM EDT
Not surprisingly the gruesome-looking finger injury that Marco Scutaro suffered last night turns out to be pretty serious, as the Giants announced that he has tendon damage called “mallet finger.” Seriously, there’s a Wikipedia page about it and everything.
The typical recovery timetable is 6-8 weeks, but Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com reports that the Giants have yet to place Scutaro on the disabled list because there’s some hope that he can play through the injury.
In the meantime Tony Abreu is starting at second base and batting second in the Giants’ lineup tonight.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (243)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (147)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)