Orioles outfielder Steve Pearce skateboards to the ballpark

Jun 12, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT

electric skateboard

As a 30-year-old journeyman trying to log 200 plate appearances in the majors for the first time this season Steve Pearce is someone to root for and the Orioles outfielder/designated hitter also has an interesting way of getting to Camden Yards for work each day.

“I had a big old truck last year … driving around in the city sometimes is a pain in the butt,” Pearce told Rich Dubroff of CSNBaltimore.com. So instead Pearce got “a souped-up electric skateboard” that he rides to the ballpark:

I love that thing. It’s comfortable. It’s cushioned. Great gas mileage. It’s electric. It’s not like a regular  skateboard. It’s got big old wheels on it. I don’t have to worry about a rock throwing me off of it. It’s durable. My dogs love it. They chase it. We have a church next to the house with a big old open lot. I get on the skateboard and they get some exercise.

Also tough not to root for a guy who frequently uses the phrase “big old” in conversation.

1. specialkindofstupid - Jun 12, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I’m way behind on skateboard technology, but…does this mean there aren’t skateboards that hover off the ground? Did Back to the Future Part II lie to us?

• jm91rs - Jun 12, 2013 at 10:50 AM

The government has hover boards but they haven’t released them to the public yet. We still have 2 years before marty mcfly gets his hover board in 2015.

• 1981titan - Jun 12, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Marty McFly gets his skateboard in 2015, Isn’t that when the Cubs are supposed to win the pennant?

2. chill1184 - Jun 12, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Awesome

3. cocheese000 - Jun 12, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Joe flacco’s neighbor would not approve of this.

4. motobus - Jun 12, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Hoping for a big old year for him

5. sportsdrenched - Jun 12, 2013 at 11:18 AM

If he had a “big old truck”. It’s probably safe to assume he uses “ol boy” & “sumbitch” when refering to the other team. Which is awesome.

• jerze2387 - Jun 12, 2013 at 11:33 AM

if he uses “sumbitch”. ill get a steve pearce jersey

6. bigharold - Jun 12, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Why do I get the feeling that if Joba Chamberlain was getting the the Stadium with an electric skateboard the editorial narrative would be more along the lines of; “How responsible he’s being endangering himself and risking injury?”

• Jonny 5 - Jun 12, 2013 at 12:25 PM

In all fairness Joba could break a leg on a kids trampoline let alone a motorized skateboard. In other words THAT narrative would be right on I think.

7. abusoru - Jun 12, 2013 at 11:54 AM

I recall someone on the Orioles commuting in a similar way a few years ago. I think it was Eric Byrnes, but I can’t find anything to confirm it.

• randomdigits - Jun 12, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Brady used to rollerblade in.

8. moogro - Jun 13, 2013 at 5:36 AM

Great gas mileage. It’s electric. Big old electric gas mileage.

9. gmac15 - Jun 13, 2013 at 6:50 AM