Jun 12, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
As a 30-year-old journeyman trying to log 200 plate appearances in the majors for the first time this season Steve Pearce is someone to root for and the Orioles outfielder/designated hitter also has an interesting way of getting to Camden Yards for work each day.
“I had a big old truck last year … driving around in the city sometimes is a pain in the butt,” Pearce told Rich Dubroff of CSNBaltimore.com. So instead Pearce got “a souped-up electric skateboard” that he rides to the ballpark:
I love that thing. It’s comfortable. It’s cushioned. Great gas mileage. It’s electric. It’s not like a regular skateboard. It’s got big old wheels on it. I don’t have to worry about a rock throwing me off of it. It’s durable. My dogs love it. They chase it. We have a church next to the house with a big old open lot. I get on the skateboard and they get some exercise.
Also tough not to root for a guy who frequently uses the phrase “big old” in conversation.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)