Jun 12, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT
Decker is a former first-round pick and was once considered a top prospect, but his stock has slipped as he’s struggled to hit for a decent batting average in the high minors. He’s hit just .224 at Double-A and .251 at Triple-A, but Decker does have good power and draws tons of walks.
He also has experience in all three outfield spots, so he could get a look in center field replacing Maybin or could be used in a corner spot while the Padres go with Chris Denorfia and Will Venable in center field.
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 2
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 15
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 12
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 15
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 6
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 31
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)