Photos of the Day: scenes from a beanball war

Jun 12, 2013, 8:23 AM EST

The details of the Dodgers-Dbacks melee last night are here. Here are some pretty good pictures from it from the Associated Press, however.

A pre-plunking Puig:

source:

Zack Greinke, using his previously-broken shoulder to protect his much more valuable head. And likely thinking “why was I not ejected after I threw at Miguel Montero? And why did my manager send me up to bat this inning when I was not going to pitch the next inning?

source:

I look at Don Mattingly and Alan Trammell scuffling and I feel like we need more of those Jack Lemmon-Walter Matthau movies. “Grumpy Old Coaches” or something:

source:

McGwire, telling Kirk Gibson what he thinks of his grit, probably. I kinda hope Gibson held up a clipping from the 1988 World Series and said “scoreboard.”

source:

1. sheriffpeyton18 - Jun 12, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Dodgers are always picking fights! Nice to see the Dbacks stand up to them!

• captainloaded - Jun 12, 2013 at 8:58 AM

How is throwing at peoples heads standing up?

• koufaxmitzvah - Jun 12, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Right. Always sticking our heads in front of fastballs.

I can see how you see the equivalence between a fast ball to the head and fast ball to the ass, however.

• ryanrockzzz - Jun 12, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Because the Dodgers throwing at anyone is never wrong…ever….because they throw at backs instead of heads, with all other body parts being completely made of baseball destroying steel.

• captainloaded - Jun 12, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Ryan, there is a difference between throwing at someones back versus throwing at someones head/face. Facial injuries, eye injuries, concussions and possible death come to mind as things that can happen from throwing at someones head. Throwing at his head was wrong. If you can’t understand that, I pity your stupidity……Or is it ignorance…..

• koufaxmitzvah - Jun 12, 2013 at 10:36 AM

So what Ryan is saying is that if your wee-willy fingers get smacked while you’re checking a swing, then the big-wig Rookie batting close to .500 should be hit in the face. And then when the catcher comes up the next inning and gets hit in the tuchus, the Real Man Pitcher gets to drill that pitcher in the head.

Granted, I’m not fluent in Whacked Out Dodger Basher, but I’ve been exposed enough to that kind of language that I can get by.

• mjdkid100 - Jun 12, 2013 at 10:16 AM

I was under the impression it went something like this…(unless I missed something)

Puig hit in the face. (Dangerous, probably accidental)

Montero hit in the back. ( Not dfangerous, Diamondbacks cry about it. Come out of the dugout.)

Greinke hit in the ear flap. (Real dangerous)

FIGHT!

2. itsacurse - Jun 12, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Ian Kennedy, baseball’s newest TERRIBLE DUDE. Sorry, Kennedy fans!

• clefo - Jun 12, 2013 at 8:43 AM

The ERA being above 5 clued most people in on that.

3. heyblueyoustink - Jun 12, 2013 at 8:41 AM

A Donnybrook!

• historiophiliac - Jun 12, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Marquess of Queensberry rules!

• heyblueyoustink - Jun 12, 2013 at 10:50 AM

As a fan of pugilism, I must say, you’ve hit a very awesome note with me there, just by knowing John Chambers’ best work.

Couldn’t thumbs up enough.

/ Cracks egg over his own head.

• historiophiliac - Jun 12, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Also, John Ford’s best work. The Quiet Man is my all-time favorite romantic comedy.

• tmohr - Jun 12, 2013 at 9:58 AM

A pier-six brawl!

4. DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 12, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Don’t like the Dodgers, don’t like Arizona. Don’t like Gibson, don’t like McGwire. Not going to get into who started what. Just going to say:

You. Can. Not. Aim. At. The. Head.

F*ck everyone on Arizona

5. breastfedted - Jun 12, 2013 at 9:02 AM

The Reds are still the kings of throwing at people, punkasses

• junglerat524 - Jun 12, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Ahhhh……..love the obsession

• paperlions - Jun 12, 2013 at 9:23 AM

I apologize in advance for informing your ignorance (Indaburg says I ruin everything, so sorry for ruining this particular information gap for you, which I am sure you were greatly enjoying), but the last 4 years (inculding 2013) the reds have been 17th, 6th, 11th, and 13th in HBP….so…you know…pretty much average.

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 12, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Stop it!

• paperlions - Jun 12, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Hey, I already apologized, so, you know, it’s okay.

I am all for people not liking teams, I just think you should not like them for valid reasons, not for made up hooey. :-D

• historiophiliac - Jun 12, 2013 at 9:50 AM

No, I loved the cm thing. That was funny.

• heyblueyoustink - Jun 12, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Sometimes, Paper, I want to give you the Nolan Ryan noogie, informed or not.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 12, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Ahhh, but there in lies the problem. You are quoting statistics, trying to reckon some sorta “democratic” solution here. He said the Reds are the “Kings”.

If the last professional baseball team in Cincinnati were in fact the Kings of throwing at batters, then per the Divine Right of Kings, the Reds automatically inherit that title

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 12, 2013 at 10:18 AM

I hear you. It just seemed (correctly or not)…that you were eagerly defended them.
        And I am with Philiac…the ‘cm’ thing was funny.

• paperlions - Jun 12, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Sorry man, can’t help it, it is in my nature to promote fact-based opinions (also called, you know, the truth). I tend to defend the wrongly accused no matter who they are….if you are going to accuse someone, at least be justified.

• indaburg - Jun 12, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Downerlions. You walk around with a wah-wah sad trombone sound.

(Yes, the cm was funny, silly. I was teasing.)

• indaburg - Jun 12, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Also, I am all for fact based opinions, as a staunch proponent of sabermetrics. The issue frequently arises when we interpret facts or data differently. There’s more than one way to skin a beaver.

• paperlions - Jun 12, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Sure is, brazilian, landing strip, au natural…..oh, you said “skin”, I read “shave”. Sorry.

• indaburg - Jun 12, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Same difference. That’s the spirit, ‘lions. ;-)

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 12, 2013 at 11:58 AM

I want the record to show that I posted that PRIOR to Paper’s post…posting.

• historiophiliac - Jun 12, 2013 at 12:04 PM

This thread is making me blush. This is no way to treat Canadians.

• junglerat524 - Jun 12, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Pitching HBP Team:

1) PIT 34
        2) AZ 29
        3) STL 28
        15) CIN 21

Batters HBP Team:

1) PIT 38
        2) CIN 36
        3) MIL 28
        16) STL 21
        18) Shin-Soo Choo 18

• jwbiii - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Hey look! Junglerat made an intelligent contribution to a discussion!

• junglerat524 - Jun 12, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Hey look jwbiii posted that with his pants down to his ankles? (who the hell is jwbii anyway?) Seems like a troll

• jwbiii - Jun 12, 2013 at 8:14 PM

John Walter Bowman III. On the odd occasion that I work for somebody else, I think it is better for me for them not to be able to type my name into a search engine and discover my internet habits.

• junglerat524 - Jun 12, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Um, I think you just might have blown that theory.

• jwbiii - Jun 13, 2013 at 2:59 AM

That’s ok. I make more money working for myself these days.

6. sdelmonte - Jun 12, 2013 at 9:13 AM

The whole thing is shameful and immature. I say, you leave the dugout, you get suspended automatically.

• historiophiliac - Jun 12, 2013 at 10:31 AM

I say no, but mostly because I secretly dream that the White Sox and Rangers will fight and Nolan will burst on to the field to give Ventura another noogie.

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 12, 2013 at 11:56 AM

While there is certainly more than one way to skin a beaver…I tend to use a razor and shaving cream of her choice.

• historiophiliac - Jun 12, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Yikes!

• koufaxmitzvah - Jun 12, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Lou believes in romance. The man loves love.

7. unclemosesgreen - Jun 12, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Matt Williams is having a tough couple of weeks – first Jeff Samardzjia goes after him for ‘looking at him’ and then he got to take a fun little McGwire horsey-ride – trying to hang on while verbally soothing Big Mac – totally unenviable position to be in. See – that’s just Ian Kennedy being a bad teammate right there – he’s going to get his own teammates (and coaches) hurt right there. Something could happen to somebody.

8. baseballici0us - Jun 12, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Kirk Gibson, Don Baylor, and Matt Williams…that’s a trio you don’t wanna f%#k with.

Then you add Mark McGwire – man, he looked possessed.

9. koufaxmitzvah - Jun 12, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Greinke took it like a man. Just like he took Raging San Quentin’s best shots, Greinke took the pitch off his head and even allowed Montero to hold onto him and whisper sweet nothings in his ear. And then Greinke takes out the shortstop in a disruption of a potential double play with a good hard slide, not even going spikes up (Tom Brady).

Yup. Some will say many things about Zack Greinke, but as a Dodgers fan who has heard the lack of toughness debate over the years (Billingsley doesn’t pitch inside) this man is a real ballplayer.

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 12, 2013 at 9:42 AM

With you Sandy. Admittedly…I have haven’t been a Zack Greinke fan since he ran his mouth when he was with the Brewers. But I certainly noticed how he handled Quentin’s bull rush…how he protected his teammates on the mound last night, and how he reacted to getting drilled. Then he comes back out and lays down an awesome slide to break up the DP.
      I have a new found respect for Zack Greinke.

• indaburg - Jun 12, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Zack Greinke: manly man.

10. beefytrout - Jun 12, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Kirk Gibson, Alan Trammell, Mark McGwire, Don Mattingly…

I feel like I need to unbox my late 80’s baseball cards and have a battle.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 12, 2013 at 9:46 AM

You should absolutely do it. Tape them to the players on an electric football table – turn it on – instant brouhaha!

• hep3 - Jun 12, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Plus Baylor and Sax……..

11. historiophiliac - Jun 12, 2013 at 10:19 AM

PS Thanks for the pics, Craig. I especially like the one where the other fellows are helping McGwire find his contact. My eye! he says.

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 12, 2013 at 12:17 PM

U having problems with the little message notification thingy in the upper right hand corner?
      It is highlighted…but it won’t open. Just continues to try to open but doesn’t. Been doing it since yesterday.

• historiophiliac - Jun 12, 2013 at 12:28 PM

I back-and-forth between different computers at work. It’s giving my problems on one computer but not the other (which is newer).

• historiophiliac - Jun 12, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Pssst. Guess what I’m doing right now?

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 13, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Listening to Rush Limbaugh on the radio?

• historiophiliac - Jun 13, 2013 at 10:24 AM

That was great.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. J. Kang (2730)
  2. W. Myers (2475)
  3. C. McGehee (2080)
  4. D. Ross (2077)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (1932)
  1. J. Shields (1821)