The Rays are still mad at John Lackey

Jun 12, 2013, 2:03 PM EDT

Rays logo

It was a day later, but yesterday the Tampa Bay Rays were still talking about John Lackey plunking Matt Joyce on Monday night. Here’s Rays’ infielder Sean Rodriguez speaking to Marc Topkin yesterday:

“It was very unmanlike to deny that you did it on purpose, that’s basically what I was addressing with him when we were on the field,” Rays infielder Sean Rodriguez said Tuesday. “I played with (Lackey), I thought he was more of a man. But maybe he’s changed, I don’t know.”

Joyce called Lackey throwing at him “a pretty bush league move.”

Maybe it was. God knows Lackey’s teammate David Ortiz routinely does the bat flipping that Lackey didn’t appreciate Joyce doing. But I sorta feel like you let these things go after a day.

1. itsacurse - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:05 PM

“Unmanlike” is a perfectly cromulent word. Rodriguez’s attitude will embiggen his standing on the team.

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:12 PM

I don’t know about it being cromulent….but it certainly doesn’t seem legitimate. Almost like it is a made up word. And I also don’t know anything about his attitude embiggen anything. But I am sure it makes him far more admirable to his teammates.

• historiophiliac - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Yes, my immediately thought: that’s freaking Jack London right there.

• rje49 - Jun 12, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Wouldn’t it be simpler, and gramatically correct, to say “unmanly?”

• indaburg - Jun 12, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Not really. Unmanlike is a legitimate word. It may be awkward sounding, but it is a word.

I am over this story though.

2. kjericho43 - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Everyone hates John Lackey for something. Red Sox fans hate him even when he’s pitching well.

3. 18thstreet - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Sean Rodriguez didn’t play with Lackey very long. And given that one’s was a veteran pitcher and the other was a young infielder, they probably didn’t interact much.

4. shaggylocks - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:38 PM

I get hitting a batter if the opposing pitcher hit one of yours–particularly if it seemed intentional. I understand why people don’t like it, but at least it makes sense to me. But hitting a batter because they hit a home run off of you? Even if they flip their bat or hot dog around the bases, that just seems juvenile to me. If you don’t want the opposing team to hit home runs, pitch better.

That said, the Sox and Rays have one more game left in their series. So sure, of course the Rays are going to keep talking about it, especially if it’ll get them fired up for the series finale. Every game counts.

5. js20011041 - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:42 PM

The whiniest team in sports strikes again. Are they allowed to express their disdain outside the realm of twitter? Yes Sean, it was “unmanlike.” Just like criticizing another player to the press. Go take out your anger at Lackey’s unmanliness in a manly way. Like punching a locker.

6. specialkindofstupid - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Maybe everyone on the Rays is a friend of Lackey’s ex-wife?

7. pisano - Jun 12, 2013 at 4:04 PM

I have a feeling that Lackey isn’t real popular with most people in general, he seems like a dick, and not only for leaving his wife with her cancer problems.

• Glenn - Jun 12, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Believe it or not, he is a very popular teammate in Boston. He is well liked by everyone – even the negative Boston press acknowledges this.

8. drewsylvania - Jun 12, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Lackey is a giant asshat. But the Rays mouth off in public so often, you’d think Rex Ryan was the manager. So much whining.

9. dmobin - Jun 12, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Other players are on record as saying Lackey is a great teammate. He is always paying for dinner on the road, especially for young/rookie teammates. He is great in the clubhouse and always has time for young players.

10. ienjoysensi - Jun 12, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Agreed . I’m a sox fan and am not a huge fan of Lackey . But man do the rays wine more then any club . Use to respect the hell out of maddon until all these outcries about this and that in the past couple years . Rodriguez is a little baby . I could see him talking smack n backing it up . But he can’t . He just cries and yaps like a little baby . Lackey would clean his clock in a 1v1 . How often do you hear the Red Sox come out in the media and complain ? Honestly ? On another note Lester looks like he did in 2012 again . Garbage .

11. kev86 - Jun 12, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Bob Gibson was mean and manly.

12. ronswansonsdinner - Jun 12, 2013 at 11:00 PM

As a Rays fan, this team needs to shut up and just play. They are getting destroyed by the Sox this year. Think they only have like 2 wins vs them this year. Rodriguez shouldn’t talk, guy is terrible. I’d rather have Tim Freaking Beckham up here instead of him. All I know is once Wil Myers gets called up, either Rodriguez or Luke Scott is gone.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3437)