Wally Backman hasn’t fixed Ike Davis yet

Jun 12, 2013, 10:01 AM EDT

ike davis getty Getty Images

Ike Davis made his debut for Las Vegas last night. He went 0 for 3 with two walks and two strikeouts. So I guess Wally Backman hasn’t fixed him yet, putting uncertainty into the Mets managerial search!

Well, OK, it was only one game. And according to this New York Post story, Backman did actually change something in Ike Davis’ first Triple-A game, attempting to eliminate a hitch in his swing. It took for a couple of at bats at least.

Maybe we shouldn’t focus so much on a minor leaguer like this. But man, it’s more interesting than thinking too hard about actual current New York Mets.

1. sdelmonte - Jun 12, 2013 at 10:08 AM

I might be in the minority on this one but I don’t like the idea of Backman as manager much. I get the feeling that he would become the story far too much. That would be terrible in NYC. (See under: Rex Ryan.) Which is not to say he doesn’t have the skills. Or that he won’t help Ike. But something about him at the moment rubs me the wrong way.

I don’t love Joe Girardi. But he gets one of the most important things about managing here: you let the players be the story. OK, it helps that the players are Jeter, CC, Mo, etc. But I just have a bad feeling about Backman not getting that.

• Old Gator - Jun 12, 2013 at 10:46 AM

If Wally Backman becomes the story, I suspect it’ll be the press’ doing more than his. Merely throwing tantrums at the umpire is hardly unique in the annals of baseball, but otherwise he’s kept his head down, especially off the field. I haven’t heard of any extracurricular peccadilloes or bon mots from his direction for quite a few years now. They guy knows how to light a fire under his ballplayers. He knows how to win. I suspect that, with the exception of the Lupicas and the New York Pestilence, if he were to manage this currently woebegotten team the story would, after an initial flurry of cheap-shot newspaper selling, become his track record in wins, losses and the development of the young players under his stewardship.

2. rickdobrydney - Jun 12, 2013 at 10:11 AM

As if Wally Backman is even able to ‘fix” Ike Davis—-

3. specialkindofstupid - Jun 12, 2013 at 10:11 AM

You jest, but if Davis had gone 4-4 with a homer in his first Backman-coached game, you know at least one person out there would have used it as evidence Backman’s time is now.

Heck, that person might have even been me. We’ll never know.

4. chill1184 - Jun 12, 2013 at 10:33 AM

I wonder if Davis is still feeling the effects of Valley Fever.

• Old Gator - Jun 12, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I had forgotten all about that. I wonder if there are any documented, lingering neuromuscular or optical effects from the disease – it’s a pretty insidious bug.

• neoshweaty - Jun 12, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Wasn’t there another promising major leaguer that got it and ended up washing out of the league after a few years?

• mikedisgood - Jun 12, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Conor Jackson I think? y/n/m?

• chill1184 - Jun 12, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Just wikied him and yes your right it was Conor Jackson

• baseballici0us - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:18 PM

correct

5. kranepool - Jun 12, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Craig there is just one cure for your New York envy, just move here already

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3658)