Jun 12, 2013, 8:49 PM EST
Yasiel Puig Mania will have to take a night off.
According to MLB.com’s Ken Gurnick, the young outfielder has been scratched from the Dodgers’ starting lineup for Wednesday night’s game against the Diamondbacks due to soreness in his right shoulder. Puig was penciled in to hit cleanup for the third straight game but he took one round of pregame batting practice and then left the field with a trainer.
Alex Castellanos will start in right field against Arizona lefty Patrick Corbin, who is 9-0 with a 1.98 ERA and 1.04 WHIP in 81 2/3 innings this season. Puig is available to run and can maybe pinch-hit, so he should be allowed to return to action on Friday night after Thursday’s scheduled team off day.
The 22-year-old Cuban defector has batted .471/.500/.882 with four home runs and 10 RBI over his first nine major league games. He was plunked in the nose by an Ian Kennedy pitch on Tuesday night and was loosely involved in the benches-clearing brawl that happened one inning later.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)