Jun 12, 2013, 8:49 PM EST
Yasiel Puig Mania will have to take a night off.
According to MLB.com’s Ken Gurnick, the young outfielder has been scratched from the Dodgers’ starting lineup for Wednesday night’s game against the Diamondbacks due to soreness in his right shoulder. Puig was penciled in to hit cleanup for the third straight game but he took one round of pregame batting practice and then left the field with a trainer.
Alex Castellanos will start in right field against Arizona lefty Patrick Corbin, who is 9-0 with a 1.98 ERA and 1.04 WHIP in 81 2/3 innings this season. Puig is available to run and can maybe pinch-hit, so he should be allowed to return to action on Friday night after Thursday’s scheduled team off day.
The 22-year-old Cuban defector has batted .471/.500/.882 with four home runs and 10 RBI over his first nine major league games. He was plunked in the nose by an Ian Kennedy pitch on Tuesday night and was loosely involved in the benches-clearing brawl that happened one inning later.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)