Jun 12, 2013, 8:49 PM EDT
Yasiel Puig Mania will have to take a night off.
According to MLB.com’s Ken Gurnick, the young outfielder has been scratched from the Dodgers’ starting lineup for Wednesday night’s game against the Diamondbacks due to soreness in his right shoulder. Puig was penciled in to hit cleanup for the third straight game but he took one round of pregame batting practice and then left the field with a trainer.
Alex Castellanos will start in right field against Arizona lefty Patrick Corbin, who is 9-0 with a 1.98 ERA and 1.04 WHIP in 81 2/3 innings this season. Puig is available to run and can maybe pinch-hit, so he should be allowed to return to action on Friday night after Thursday’s scheduled team off day.
The 22-year-old Cuban defector has batted .471/.500/.882 with four home runs and 10 RBI over his first nine major league games. He was plunked in the nose by an Ian Kennedy pitch on Tuesday night and was loosely involved in the benches-clearing brawl that happened one inning later.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (125)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (97)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (97)