Jun 13, 2013, 6:20 PM EDT
UPDATE: A.J. Burnett has been placed on the disabled list with a right calf strain.
4:49 PM: Pittsburgh has already lost Wandy Rodriguez to the disabled list with a forearm injury and now the Pirates will be without A.J. Burnett for at least one turn in the rotation because of a calf injury.
Burnett has been scratched from his scheduled start Friday against the Dodgers and Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review reports that the injury could require a disabled list stint. Gerrit Cole is filling in for Rodriguez and the Pirates have already called up Charlie Morton to start tonight, so their rotation depth is definitely being tested.
Burnett has a 3.12 ERA in 14 starts this season and a 3.39 ERA in 45 total starts since joining the Pirates last year, re-emerging as a top-of-the-rotation starter after three disappointing years with the Yankees.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)