Jun 13, 2013, 6:20 PM EDT
UPDATE: A.J. Burnett has been placed on the disabled list with a right calf strain.
4:49 PM: Pittsburgh has already lost Wandy Rodriguez to the disabled list with a forearm injury and now the Pirates will be without A.J. Burnett for at least one turn in the rotation because of a calf injury.
Burnett has been scratched from his scheduled start Friday against the Dodgers and Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review reports that the injury could require a disabled list stint. Gerrit Cole is filling in for Rodriguez and the Pirates have already called up Charlie Morton to start tonight, so their rotation depth is definitely being tested.
Burnett has a 3.12 ERA in 14 starts this season and a 3.39 ERA in 45 total starts since joining the Pirates last year, re-emerging as a top-of-the-rotation starter after three disappointing years with the Yankees.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)