Jun 13, 2013, 6:20 PM EST
UPDATE: A.J. Burnett has been placed on the disabled list with a right calf strain.
4:49 PM: Pittsburgh has already lost Wandy Rodriguez to the disabled list with a forearm injury and now the Pirates will be without A.J. Burnett for at least one turn in the rotation because of a calf injury.
Burnett has been scratched from his scheduled start Friday against the Dodgers and Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review reports that the injury could require a disabled list stint. Gerrit Cole is filling in for Rodriguez and the Pirates have already called up Charlie Morton to start tonight, so their rotation depth is definitely being tested.
Burnett has a 3.12 ERA in 14 starts this season and a 3.39 ERA in 45 total starts since joining the Pirates last year, re-emerging as a top-of-the-rotation starter after three disappointing years with the Yankees.
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano 76
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (98)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (87)
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano (81)