Jun 13, 2013, 6:20 PM EDT
UPDATE: A.J. Burnett has been placed on the disabled list with a right calf strain.
4:49 PM: Pittsburgh has already lost Wandy Rodriguez to the disabled list with a forearm injury and now the Pirates will be without A.J. Burnett for at least one turn in the rotation because of a calf injury.
Burnett has been scratched from his scheduled start Friday against the Dodgers and Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review reports that the injury could require a disabled list stint. Gerrit Cole is filling in for Rodriguez and the Pirates have already called up Charlie Morton to start tonight, so their rotation depth is definitely being tested.
Burnett has a 3.12 ERA in 14 starts this season and a 3.39 ERA in 45 total starts since joining the Pirates last year, re-emerging as a top-of-the-rotation starter after three disappointing years with the Yankees.
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 7
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 7
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 17
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 59
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 23
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)