Jun 13, 2013, 10:09 PM EDT
It took five hours and 34 minutes, but the Athletics finished off a three-game sweep of the Yankees with a 3-2 win in 18 innings this evening at O.Co Coliseum.
Nate Freiman played hero for the Athletics, as he dropped a one-out single into left field off Mariano Rivera to drive in John Jaso for the winning run. Preston Claiborne began the inning and got Derek Norris to ground out to second base, but he was pulled in favor of Rivera after he gave up a single to Jaso. Rivera then allowed a bloop single to Seth Smith and intentionally walked Jed Lowrie to set-up Freiman for the game-winning hit.
By the way, this was the latest that Rivera had ever pitched in a game. Yes, even in his 19th and final season, the all-time saves leader still has some firsts left.
The Athletics nearly won the game three innings earlier on a single by Coco Crisp. However, Vernon Wells made a strong throw to the plate and Chris Stewart held on after a collision with Brandon Moss to get the out.
The Yankees got a two-run homer from Robinson Cano off Jarrod Parker in the first inning, but they were held off the board for the next 17 frames. Mark Teixeira, Travis Hafner, Kevin Youkilis, and Wells went a combined 0-for-28 and had three strikeouts each. Ouch.
This is the third game this month to go 18 innings or more, joining Rangers-Blue Jays (18 innings) and Marlins-Mets (20 innings) from this past Saturday. As ESPN’s Jayson Stark notes, that doesn’t happen often.
This is the final version of this note. I promise. Months with 3 games of 18 innings or more: June 1967, August 1972, May 1973, June 2013—
Jayson Stark (@jaysonst) June 14, 2013
- Carlos Gomez diagnosed with sprained wrist 3
- Michael Wacha to start Thursday for the Cardinals 4
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 37
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 48
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (221)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (76)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)