Jun 13, 2013, 11:05 AM EDT
All-Star teams are managed by the previous year’s pennant-winning managers. All-Star coaches are picked by those managers. Those managers — Bruce Bochy and Jim Leyland — have picked their coaches. From the MLB press release:
Bochy has named Mets manager Terry Collins and Washington Nationals skipper Davey Johnson, who guided the Mets to the 1986 World Series Championship, as his N.L. coaches … Leyland has invited Chicago White Sox manager Robin Ventura and Toronto Blue Jays manager John Gibbons to represent the American League.
Depending on how bad you thought the Mets would be, all four coaches helm underachieving squads this year. Which means that Don Mattingly and Mike Scioscia were snubbed, apparently.
The NL will be filled out by Bochy’s Giants staff – third base coach Tim Flannery, bullpen coach Mark Gardner, first base coach Roberto Kelly, hitting coach Joe Lefebvre, hitting coach Hensley Meulens, pitching coach Dave Righetti and bench coach Ron Wotus. The Mets head trainer Ray Ramirez and the Nationals head athletic trainer Lee Kuntz will be there too.
In the AL it’s Leyland’s Tigers coaches – Rafael Belliard (first base), Tom Brookens (third base), Toby Harrah (assistant hitting), Jeff Jones (pitching), Gene Lamont (bench), Lloyd McClendon (hitting) and Mike Rojas (bullpen) – will come to New York. Head athletic trainers Ron Porterfield of the Tampa Bay Rays and Rick Jameyson of the Boston Red Sox will fix the owies.
And remember: this time it counts again. So if Tom Brookens is coaching third base, look for some nice putouts at the plate.
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 7
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 54
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20