Jun 13, 2013, 10:45 PM EDT
Ruiz has been sidelined since May 19 with a Grade 2 strain of his right hamstring. The plan calls for him to play with Lehigh Valley on Saturday and Sunday before taking the day off Monday and playing with Double-A Reading on Tuesday and Wednesday. Barring any setbacks, this will set up him to return from the disabled list next Friday.
Ruiz missed the first 25 games of the season while serving a suspension for Adderall use. The 34-year-old backstop was batting just .235/.286/.275 with two doubles and two RBI in 16 games prior to the injury. He’s slated to become a free agent this offseason.
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 24
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 109
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 3
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 155
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (155)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (113)