Jun 13, 2013, 10:45 PM EDT
Ruiz has been sidelined since May 19 with a Grade 2 strain of his right hamstring. The plan calls for him to play with Lehigh Valley on Saturday and Sunday before taking the day off Monday and playing with Double-A Reading on Tuesday and Wednesday. Barring any setbacks, this will set up him to return from the disabled list next Friday.
Ruiz missed the first 25 games of the season while serving a suspension for Adderall use. The 34-year-old backstop was batting just .235/.286/.275 with two doubles and two RBI in 16 games prior to the injury. He’s slated to become a free agent this offseason.
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 50
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 48
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 27
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 43
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)