Jun 13, 2013, 11:32 AM EDT
From Matt Gelb’s article in the Philly Inquirer, here’s Charlie Manuel’s response to a totally reasonable question about, perhaps, moving Ryan Howard and his one homer in the past 111 at bats out of the cleanup spot:
“What the [expletive] are you getting at?” Manuel said. “Who’s going to hit there? Let me ask you a question. Let me turn that around some. Write what you want to write.”
It was suggested that Domonic Brown could bat there.
“I could put anybody in there, OK?” Manuel said. “Really, if you think about it. I’ll do the managing. Whoever hits there, hits there.”
It’s not Manuel’s fault that he’s got one legitimate power threat these days and so much aging, expensive and often injured baggage filling out the roster. But it is his obligation to keep his cool, isn’t it? To be the guy who keeps his players’ spirits up even as the team’s winning-percentage goes down?
Sounds like that’s becoming increasingly difficult. It also sounds like a manager who is slowly starting to realize that there does not appear to be a resurgence in sight for the Phillies as we’ve known them for the past several years.
- Joey Gallo earns Futures Game MVP honors after leading Team USA to victory 3
- Major League Baseball needs to shift the All-Star week schedule 42
- Braves suspend Dan Uggla one game for being extremely tardy on Saturday in Chicago 33
- Cliff Lee on track to return to Phillies’ rotation July 21 4
- MRI shows biceps strain, no structural damage, for Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 22
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 8
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (192)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)
- Woman knocked unconscious during fight between A’s and Giants fans outside AT&T Park (84)