David Ortiz is done with the Home Run Derby

Jun 13, 2013, 9:43 AM EDT

Salvador Perez, David Ortiz AP

WEEI spoke with David Ortiz before last night’s game and he made it clear that he’s not participating in any more Home Run Derbys. Why? Not for the reason I thought (you can’t flip your bat and strut in the Home Run Derby). It’s because he’s old, man:

“If [Robinson Cano] asks me to do it? I wouldn’t do it. I’m done with that … I can’t do it no more. I can’t even do it in batting practice. Watch me in batting practice, I might lose a couple of balls but that’s it. I can’t do it. It wears me out. Wears me out. And you know the Home Run Derby can be taken lightly. You have to be young with a lot of energy.”

Sounds right and sensible. I get tired watching those guys do it. They take way, way more hacks in a Derby than anyone ever does in BP, and those hacks are obviously harder. The idea that used to hold in which the Home Run Derby destroys guys and changes their swing doesn’t have a ton of evidence behind it, but I’d be shocked if the players who participate in it aren’t totally wiped afterwards.

If I’m a Red Sox fan, I’m really happy that Papi wants no part of the Home Run Derby anymore.

1. aceshigh11 - Jun 13, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Good news. He doesn’t need any distractions or disruptions with the way he’s been raking this season.

2. historiophiliac - Jun 13, 2013 at 10:15 AM

What? Hitting HR’s is hard??? What does this mean?

• nogeeks - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:00 AM

It means the PED’s take their toll, look at how the older users are all falling apart (Ortiz, A-Rod, etc)

• paperlions - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Obviously you haven’t hit your late 30s yet. If you haven’t fallen apart by then, you will.

• historiophiliac - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Geez, paper. It’s not that bad.

• paperlions - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Yeah, it is. Things always hurt, knees, ankles, shoulders…and for no apparent reason, suddenly, one day, a joint will decide to be cranky all day, and they take turns. You have to work your ass off to not get fat, which is made harder by lower androgen levels, reduced basal metabolic rates, and general pain. No, it isn’t hell…but it isn’t the same as being in your 20s, when you could do anything you wanted and be fine the next day and eat anything you want and not gain weight.

• historiophiliac - Jun 13, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Poor old broke-down paper. I have so much to look forward too now.

• Francisco (FC) - Jun 13, 2013 at 2:22 PM

so you’re saying that you go from paper to paper-mache?

• sabatimus - Jun 13, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Very sadly true, paper. I’m gonna be 37 in less than a month and I’ve done nothing but gain weight over the last several years.

• indaburg - Jun 13, 2013 at 5:24 PM

I don’t find weight any harder to keep weight off now than at any point of my life. Same formula. Energy output must exceed energy input. Very simple. Move more, eat less. It’s the same whether you are 20, 40, or 80.

‘lions, I am no happy go lucky Pollyanna, but your negativity sometimes makes me feel like one of those perky cheerleaders I want to slap silly. Chin up, man. I’m betting I’m somewhere around your age, and I feel awesome.

• rcquinn1972 - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:54 AM

I’m with @paper, if you’re his age (PED’s or not), things get achy a lot more frequent and longer lasting. He doesn’t need to mess around with the HR derby. I would prefer he focus on the season and stay in first place!

• historiophiliac - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I didn’t say you don’t take longer to recover or whatever — I just don’t think you fall apart completely.

3. chacochicken - Jun 13, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Let’s not make this one sided. The HR derby is tired of Papi too. He was so much work and its really getting too old for his nonsense anymore.

4. specialkindofstupid - Jun 13, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Hmmm. So it sounds like a good strategy for Cano is to ask all the best players from his AL East competitors to participate in the derby. They all will think they are being honored by respected peer, but what really is happening is Cano wants to wear them out for the second half. Brilliant.

This also would explain why Cano doesn’t want fan favorite Billy Butler in the derby.

• nogeeks - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:01 AM

^ nutcase

5. whitdog23 - Jun 13, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Papi wouldn’t have been asked anyway. stick a fork in him…he’s done soon

• anotheryx - Jun 13, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Wow… what a way to totally butcher a idiom…

• nogeeks - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:02 AM

“an idiom”

• schm1471 - Jun 13, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Why don’t you make like a tree and get the hell out of here?

• aceshigh11 - Jun 13, 2013 at 10:54 AM

.309/.394/.608 with 13 HR and 48 RBI AFTER missing the first three weeks of the season is considered “done” to you?

• rcquinn1972 - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:57 AM

G AB R H HR RBI BB KO SB BA
      48 181 33 56 13 48 26 26 2 0.3094

Done? I think not. He’s getting smarter at the plate. The numbers don’t lie!

6. historiophiliac - Jun 13, 2013 at 10:38 AM

I would like Fielder to dominate it again. Thank you.

7. 18thstreet - Jun 13, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I would like the Derby better if each player’s at bat was shorter (fewer out) and they skipped from the first round to a head-to-head final with the two top competitors from round one. If they want to keep the length the same, they could add more hitters. It starts out fun and just seems to drag on.

8. paperlions - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:16 AM

The HR derby couldn’t possibly have a more boring, tedious, over-long format.

• historiophiliac - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:22 AM

YOU DON’T HAVE TO WATCH!!!!

Personally, I like watching balls go in the fountain. :)

• paperlions - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:28 AM

The HR derby is the equivalent of watching tennis players serve as hard as they can without the requirement that the ball has to be in or anyone trying to return it.

Me not watching doesn’t change any of the facts of the pointless ennui the “event” represents.

• historiophiliac - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:29 AM

But, it gives you numbers you can crunch. Doesn’t that make you happy?

• paperlions - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Numbers that don’t count or have meaningful context aren’t crunchable. It’s like the WBC.

• historiophiliac - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:42 AM

My new reason to love it so is that it vexes you.

• paperlions - Jun 13, 2013 at 1:45 PM

KOZMA!

He singled off of Harvey and scored on a triple by Carpenter. He’s been in a rather prolonged slump (even compared to his previous nearly adequate production).

• historiophiliac - Jun 13, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Hoooray!

(PS Ironically, I got to be the downerlions today.)

• paperlions - Jun 13, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Did you tell someone their 7.3 cm wasn’t adequate?

• historiophiliac - Jun 13, 2013 at 2:09 PM

No I threw cold water on someone’s rookie-gasm.

• paperlions - Jun 13, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Anyone I know? Was it related to Alvarez?

• historiophiliac - Jun 13, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Profar.

• paperlions - Jun 13, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Hadn’t bothered with that post….you do have a point though. There is no player for which saying we are going to be watching them be awesome for the next 5+ years is good assumption….and saying 15 years is just foolish and an unnecessary comment.

Watching great young players and and being excited about new talents is fun, but most of those guys top out as average regulars or worse. People just don’t like facts when they aren’t all happy and saccharine…which is most of the time.

• historiophiliac - Jun 13, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Everyone wants to say they saw the great one when he was coming up, but the thing is, you don’t always know. I liked watching Pudge as a youngster, but I didn’t have any idea what kind of career he was going to have. It makes it all the better now b/c we can say: hey, remember when he was supposed to get married in between a double-header here but he got called up? You can’t plan those cool stories. Anyway, some of them crap out and then all you can do is talk about might have been. You know I like the vets though — you have to be good and lucky to stick around. I appreciate long-term talent. (But I KNEW Laynce Nix sucked from the beginning.)

Did you laugh at me being the champion of fact there? lol

• paperlions - Jun 13, 2013 at 2:45 PM

It is an art to introduce fact that rains on a parade in such a way that it doesn’t rile the masses.

• historiophiliac - Jun 13, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Oh, I don’t mind riling. You should know that.

• paperlions - Jun 13, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Yeah….until you tell someone to “have a nice day”.

• historiophiliac - Jun 13, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Ok, when I find myself mired in a stupid conversation or one that is deteriorating or I’m willing to concede the point, I say that to end the conversation nicely. What is wrong with that?

• paperlions - Jun 13, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Just givin’ ya shit.

• historiophiliac - Jun 13, 2013 at 3:20 PM

You’re a turkey.

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:31 AM

That’s right Paper. You don’t have to watch.
      You can always listen to it on the radio.

• paperlions - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Okay, okay, I won’t defend the Reds anymore, just stop the torture.

9. hojo20 - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:21 AM

The Home Run Derby sucks!

10. gunpowderjones - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Watching baseball players hit home runs is more exciting than watching tennis players serve. Unless some tennis player I haven’t heard of is chasing down the single season serves record and there is some energy brewing and, yeah, it’s probably the exact same thing.

• paperlions - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Balls that go into the crowd during batting practice aren’t home runs. They don’t count, and they aren’t impressive. Hitting major league pitching is impressive.

It is the same as having a QB competition where they try to hit a motionless target while no one is rushing them.

11. nbjays - Jun 13, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I don’t care who gets invited to the HR Derby, as long as it isn’t Chris Berman. I just wish he’d go back-back-back-back to wherever he came from and shut up.

12. louhudson23 - Jun 13, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Boring and silly. even less relevant to the game than the dunk contest is to basketball,and that is some serious irrelevancy…

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win