David Ortiz is done with the Home Run Derby

Jun 13, 2013, 9:43 AM EST

Salvador Perez, David Ortiz AP

WEEI spoke with David Ortiz before last night’s game and he made it clear that he’s not participating in any more Home Run Derbys. Why? Not for the reason I thought (you can’t flip your bat and strut in the Home Run Derby). It’s because he’s old, man:

“If [Robinson Cano] asks me to do it? I wouldn’t do it. I’m done with that … I can’t do it no more. I can’t even do it in batting practice. Watch me in batting practice, I might lose a couple of balls but that’s it. I can’t do it. It wears me out. Wears me out. And you know the Home Run Derby can be taken lightly. You have to be young with a lot of energy.”

Sounds right and sensible. I get tired watching those guys do it. They take way, way more hacks in a Derby than anyone ever does in BP, and those hacks are obviously harder. The idea that used to hold in which the Home Run Derby destroys guys and changes their swing doesn’t have a ton of evidence behind it, but I’d be shocked if the players who participate in it aren’t totally wiped afterwards.

If I’m a Red Sox fan, I’m really happy that Papi wants no part of the Home Run Derby anymore.

Latest Posts
  1. Mets don’t intend to talk extension with Daniel Murphy

Feb 26, 2015, 11:02 PM EST

Daniel Murphy AP AP

While Daniel Murphy would like to discuss a contract extension with the Mets, it looks like a foregone conclusion that he will test free agency after the 2015 season.

2. Nick Markakis apologizes for his comments regarding contract talks with the Orioles

Feb 26, 2015, 9:49 PM EST

Nick Markakis AP AP

Braves outfielder Nick Markakis recently expressed frustration about how contract talks with the Orioles broke down over the winter.

3. Shane Victorino is ready to go back to switch-hitting

Feb 26, 2015, 8:40 PM EST

Shane Victorino Getty Getty Images

Victorino gave up hitting from the left side late in 2013, but he’s ready to give it another shot.

4. Matt Harvey tentatively scheduled to make spring debut on March 6

Feb 26, 2015, 7:15 PM EST

Matt Harvey AP AP

It will be Harvey’s first game action since he underwent Tommy John surgery 16 months ago.

5. Blue Jays sign Johan Santana

Feb 26, 2015, 6:06 PM EST

Johan Santana Getty Getty Images

Santana hasn’t pitched in the majors since 2012 due to injury.

6. Barry Zito on his one-year retirement: “You want to be back in that game so bad”

Feb 26, 2015, 5:17 PM EST

Barry Zito Getty Images

“I think hanging it up is going to be harder for guys than they realize, after being out of it for a year.”

7. What’s driving the A-Rod media circus? The media, of course.

Feb 26, 2015, 2:06 PM EST

Alex Rodriguez AP AP

Shame on A-Rod for making the reporters obsess about him.

8. Ike Davis is still mad at the Mets for saying that he partied too hard

Feb 26, 2015, 12:30 PM EST

ike davis getty Getty Images

It’s been two and a half years, but it still leaves a “dirty taste” in his mouth.

9. Wily Mo Pena is staying in Japan

Feb 26, 2015, 11:47 AM EST

wily mo pena headshot ap AP

Pena once looked like a potential star for the Reds and Red Sox, but then washed out by age 26.

10. Max Scherzer has added a cutter to his arsenal

Feb 26, 2015, 11:32 AM EST

Max Scherzer AP

He also (a) wants to emulate Greg Maddux; and (b) asked Sandy Koufax about his curveball.

11. The Phillies slowly enter the era of analytics

Feb 26, 2015, 11:00 AM EST

phillies logo

Welcome to 2002, Ruben Amaro!

12. Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers

Feb 26, 2015, 10:23 AM EST

Francisco Rodriguez AP

Two weeks ago Francisco Rodriguez was said to be holding out for a two-year contract.

13. For the 100th time, the Yankees are not for sale

Feb 26, 2015, 9:37 AM EST

Yankees logo

Even if Mike Lupica thinks they will be soon.

1. J. Hamilton (4180)