HBT Daily: Beanball wars are absolutely stupid

Jun 13, 2013, 2:30 PM EST

I’ve been on this high horse many a time. And I don’t care how many folks tell me I’m being all uptight and goody-goody about it. I’ll still always be right and you’ll still always be victims of a culture of machismo which has mistaken violence for valor.

Hmm. Don’t think I’m helping my cause with that kind of thing either. Oh well!

1. captainwisdom8888 - Jun 13, 2013 at 2:38 PM

maguire was trippin from the get-go

2. duckthefodgers - Jun 13, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Your segments should be called SoftballTalk Daily.

3. heyblueyoustink - Jun 13, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Wars against Klingons, totally acceptable.

4. natslady - Jun 13, 2013 at 3:17 PM

I wish you would transcribe what you say in these videos.

5. term3186 - Jun 13, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Wars? Yes, beanball WARS are stupid. But surgical retaliation strikes are another matter. if someone hits your breakout player in the face with a pitch, that just can’t go unpunished. Grienke did the right thing. Plugged a guy in the back, where he won’t suffer any real damage. It was over, everyone should’ve moved on. Then Kennedy, like a fool, hits Grienke, centimeters away from his head. Bush league x2. Shouldn’t have thrown at Grienke period, and certainly not anywhere near the dome.

• beebopthearcher - Jun 13, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Why yes, the Dodgers retaliation certainly solved the problem and taught the Diamondbacks a very important lesson about headhunting, didn’t it?

Oh, it didn’t? It actually lead to more head-hunting? Then a big bench clearing brawl? Oh, my mistake. I guess they are really stupid, aren’t they?

• lawson1974 - Jun 13, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Nothing wrong with an occasional brawl.

6. ezthinking - Jun 13, 2013 at 3:18 PM

BTW. Five guys got hit. Ellis was hit after Grienke.

7. ezthinking - Jun 13, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Probably the dumbest set of comments ever Craig.

Players no punches – coaches violent.

The coaches – zero punches.

Players – several.

Did you even watch the footage?

8. ezthinking - Jun 13, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Pretty sure the “unwritten rule” on this is written:

lex talionis

An eye for an eye.

Has little to do with baseball. I’m sure your kids have said to you, “but he/she hit me first!”

Same deal. Baseball is no exception.

• American of African Descent - Jun 13, 2013 at 5:27 PM

I never understood why “he hit me first” is not a legitimate excuse to hit back. When the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor did the United States turn the other cheek? Or did the United States stand up for itself, becoming a superpower in the process? Peace through superior fire power — he puts one of yours in the hospital, you put one of his in the morgue.

It’s not about machismo. It’s about standing up for yourself. If you wouldn’t let a bully push you around without responding, why would you let a teammate get hit without responding in kind?

• ptfu - Jun 13, 2013 at 6:07 PM

One has to find a way to get the other guy to stop. Responding to violence with violence is never a good response, which does not mean it isn’t sometimes the only one.

Ah, but is retaliatory plunking the only answer here? There’s the rub. Is it more effective in stopping the other guy than waiting for MLB to hand down fines and suspensions?

• American of African Descent - Jun 13, 2013 at 6:40 PM

I agree that one has to get the other guy to stop, and I would agree that it’s preferable to use a non-violent technique to compel compliance. Further, I would state that you should throw at the offending pitcher–and avoid throwing at an otherwise innocent player–if you’re going to retaliate.

I don’t know that waiting for MLB to issue fines and suspensions works in all cases as many ballplayers do not act in their financial self-interest. (See Bradley, Milton.) Sometimes you’ve just got to use hard power, and I’m absolutely ok with that.

9. stlouis1baseball - Jun 13, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Yawn….

10. foreverchipper10 - Jun 13, 2013 at 4:17 PM

I have been oozing with machismo since the mid 90′s. I blame Razor Ramon.

11. greymares - Jun 13, 2013 at 4:20 PM

So what constitutes a beanball war 1st batter hit 2nd, 3rd. Is the first an automatic accident and the 2nd starts the war. Does it matter if the hittee is a stud player or a lineup filler. Who decides when the war has begun and who stops the war and by what means. Let the players handle it and punish them on their sissy type baseball fights

12. lawson1974 - Jun 13, 2013 at 6:26 PM

So, I guess you’ll always be wrong, and never able to keep a hitter from the inner half of the plate.

13. Brian Tinsman - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:22 AM

Nothing like a heavy dose of self-righteous pacifism to get my day started. If you don’t like that tempers flare in a competitive game, you don’t understand baseball.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4280)