Jurickson Profar doesn’t like water, is scared of sharks

Jun 13, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT

jurickson profar getty Getty Images

Rangers rookie Jurickson Profar is on his way to becoming a household name, so it’s always good to learn a little bit more about a guy we’re going to be watching for the next 15 years or so.

Luckily he revealed a few interesting tidbits during a radio interview with KTCK-AM in Dallas, including his thoughts on swimming:

Oh, I don’t like water. Water is for sharks and stuff … I always watch Discovery Channel and stuff and I see those sharks and I get scared.

And his favorite television shows:

ESPN. Let me see … Mr. Bean.

Unless there’s some other “Mr. Bean” television show I’m not aware of that means he’s watching the British comedy starring Rowan Atkinson from the early 1990s. It stopped airing in 1995 and Profar was born in 1993. Rangers reporters are going to have to follow-up on this one, I think.

Profar, who won’t be 21 years old for another eight months, has hit .292 with two homers and a .758 OPS in 19 games for the Rangers after coming into the season as Baseball America‘s top-ranked prospect.

1. yahmule - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Every picture I see of this young man he’s flashing that great smile.

2. specialkindofstupid - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:56 AM

So he likes the Discovery Channel, Mr. Bean, and the word “stuff.”

I feel like a got a good read on the guy now. Great job, KTKC-AM in Dallas!

(Side note: Very nice to hear a young guy list ESPN and Mr. Bean as his favorite shows. No Reality TV for a change.)

• foreverchipper10 - Jun 13, 2013 at 12:16 PM

3. historiophiliac - Jun 13, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Sigh. This is what I hate about y’all’s rookie fanaticism. You really don’t know if you will be watching him for another 15 years. He could be done in 5 for a variety of reasons. Chill.

• valarmorghuliss - Jun 13, 2013 at 12:30 PM

• historiophiliac - Jun 13, 2013 at 12:37 PM

You’re welcome.

• jeffa43 - Jun 13, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Shocker…historyofyoursack continues to display comments of the cup is half empty..
      Thanks for spreading optimism, joy and thoughts of career ending injuries…

On the flip side.

Profar looks to be a good one for a long long time. I look forward to watching a fun to watch rookie develop into an all star and many highlights for the next 10 to 15 years.

I would comment on Garrit Coles awesome debut in pit, but I don’t want to hear about arm injury scenarios.

• historiophiliac - Jun 13, 2013 at 1:34 PM

If he’s in the highlights in 10 or 15 years, I will greatly enjoy it too. And when people on here are bitching he’s a has-been when he’s on the other side of 30 but is still a good player and are all gaga about the new crop of rookies, I will be celebrating his veterany goodness. Because I think staying power is impressive and a lot of dudes crap out and don’t make it there. Enjoy your punks.

• jeffa43 - Jun 13, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Complaining about wrong side of 30? You got the negativity going from both sides of the spectrum. First you don’t want to hear about the rookies high ceiling, now wrong side of 30 scenarios.

Btw… My punks are the Astros… But I am a baseball fan, so I appreciate young talent that will continue to make badeball fun for the next decade to come.

The Stros are full of young talent, you should check them out…. For you, I am sure you can find all kinds of scenarios for failure. We are in last, plenty of cheap shots to be taken.

Or… You can see a very young team that is starting to develop. Young ball players playing hard to make it. Here is a tip… It can be fun watching a young player develop… I saw Biggio catch his first game, and saw highlights for 20 years… It’s called fun… Baseball is fun … Fun damnit! Big smile!

• historiophiliac - Jun 14, 2013 at 12:10 AM

You should learn to read more carefully. I don’t think you understood what I was saying at all. Have a nice day.

4. beefytrout - Jun 13, 2013 at 12:05 PM

KTCK.

5. lofipatrick - Jun 13, 2013 at 1:03 PM

I know! How could anyone discover, let alone watch, a television show from the past?

6. heyblueyoustink - Jun 13, 2013 at 1:14 PM

I would think lots of folks from Curacao are scared of sharks. It’s in their DNA I suppose.

• historiophiliac - Jun 13, 2013 at 1:51 PM

If you don’t have that DNA, you’re kind of shark bait. I’m afeared of ‘em.

• heyblueyoustink - Jun 13, 2013 at 1:59 PM

This beach bum can spend hours in the ocean. No shark worries, more concerned with jellyfish.

And bikinis, of course.

• historiophiliac - Jun 13, 2013 at 2:00 PM

So, you look good in a bikini, do you?

• heyblueyoustink - Jun 13, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Never tried one on, hmmmmmm…….

• historiophiliac - Jun 13, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Me either!

7. kaboomdmv - Jun 13, 2013 at 6:01 PM

I wonder if he’s afraid of fellow curaçao-native Roger Bernadina. Chomp, chomp.

8. maltdawg - Jun 13, 2013 at 7:44 PM

And in other news Evan Longoria enjoys toast.

Three legends off to Cooperstown