Mariano Rivera delivers pizza

Jun 13, 2013, 8:21 AM EDT

Mariano Rivera, Julie Vasconcellos

Mariano Rivera‘s farewell tour continues to be pretty cool. Last night he played Pizza Claus in Oakland:

Posing as a pizza delivery man, New York Yankees closer Mariano Rivera surprised longtime Athletics employee Julie Vasconcellos by visiting her in the mail room where she has worked going on 25 years. Rivera carried in a pizza box Wednesday night and brought Vasconcellos to tears as he thanked her for 2 1/2 decades of hard work behind the scenes.

Having seen “Moneyball” I am led to believe that no one gets free sodas at the Coliseum so I’m guessing Vasconcellos has never gotten a free pizza at work in her life.

In other news, Rivera is totally ruining the farewell tour thing for those stars who have come to expect that they’ll get gifts at every stop.

1. mybrunoblog - Jun 13, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Just another reason to love this guy. It’s cool that he’s having fun with this and not just standing around getting free gifts that he really doesn’t need.

• cur68 - Jun 13, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Yeah, this ^^.

Not only the better farewell, but I’m hoping that he avoids the idiotic twitter comments, too. Odds are, his plans post retirement will include doing more than just being “Mo Rivera: former baseball player”.

• Liam - Jun 13, 2013 at 9:43 AM

He said in his retirement press conference that he wants to work with the low level Yankee minor leaguers, like the Gulf Coast and maybe even Dominican summer teams. No offense to Mariano, but I wonder how good of a coach he could possibly be. “Alright, next time in that situation, just throw your mid 90s cutter with impossibly late movement to a pinpoint position on the corner of the plate. Work on that.”

• cur68 - Jun 13, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Surely Mo has more to offer than just one pitch tutelage, but there’s a solid point in your argument: he’s a one pitch pitcher. But its a hell of a pitch.

As you know, the thing about Mo’s cutter is that it is not one dimensional. He can get it to cut on command and effectively for righties and lefties.

So, the thing I believe he has to teach is that an excellent cutter might be most of what you need if you can get it to cut where and when you want it to. Throw that and a change up and you can sit down the vast majority of guys you face. Get to a pitcher soon enough, and, in theory, you could teach him from early on to do that.
        Odds are, a few of them could do that well enough to be starting pitchers.

Imagine that guy, eh? A batter would be beside himself trying to guess which way the cut was going and then swing wildly at a change up out of the zone. Could work.

• historiophiliac - Jun 13, 2013 at 10:09 AM

This means you, Larry.

• cur68 - Jun 13, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Yes. Yes it does.

• fanofevilempire - Jun 13, 2013 at 1:53 PM

once a Acura always a Acura!
      - Mariano Rivera

2. scoobies05 - Jun 13, 2013 at 8:50 AM

as an oriole fan i cant stand the yankees. that being said i have always had a ton of respect for mo. thats just an awesome story. the sports world needs more guys with his character

3. hojo20 - Jun 13, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Mo is awesome

4. heyblueyoustink - Jun 13, 2013 at 8:57 AM

I want to see him out duel the weird pizza box making dude on the Domino’s commercials. I’m sure he could, he’s *that* good.

( Actually, a television show where pro athletes have to imitate every day folks in working tasks would be a pretty shibby idea )

5. indaburg - Jun 13, 2013 at 9:03 AM

How can anyone not love this man? And how can I get Pizza Claus to visit my house? I don’t need another bath robe. Free pizza though on Christmas morning? Awesome.

6. RoyHobbs39 - Jun 13, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Pizza Claus. I now know what I am going to dress up for next Halloween.

• heyblueyoustink - Jun 13, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Pizza the Hut?

• number42is1 - Jun 13, 2013 at 10:04 AM

didn’t he eat himself….. TO DEATH!?

• heyblueyoustink - Jun 13, 2013 at 10:17 AM

“Or else what?”

“Or else Pizza, is gonna send out for YOU!”

7. paperlions - Jun 13, 2013 at 9:22 AM

I assume the pizza looked like this:

• historiophiliac - Jun 13, 2013 at 10:08 AM

What in the pluperfect hell is that, paper?

• heyblueyoustink - Jun 13, 2013 at 10:45 AM

A Jesus pie and some hot cross buns.

Who could ask for anything more…

• historiophiliac - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I guess I can’t see Jesus.

8. Devin Rambo - Jun 13, 2013 at 9:25 AM

I can’t decide if Rivera is better at being a pitcher, or better at being a human being. He’s pretty awesome at both.

9. mdpickles - Jun 13, 2013 at 9:31 AM

So…the Mariano Rivera farewell tour is the greatest thing ever. Look at the smile on Mo’s face! He genuinely loves this stuff.

10. bklynbaseball - Jun 13, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Paying It Forward – Mo’s doing it right.

11. elgorditodehumboldt - Jun 13, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Pure class all the way. Just wish he wasn’t a Yankee…makes it harder to hate the Evil Empire when you’ve got guys like this in the clubhouse.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 13, 2013 at 9:48 AM

I’d say ‘wait until next year’ but Robertson is a pretty good guy too.

12. sdelmonte - Jun 13, 2013 at 9:51 AM

I wonder if anyone else here saw the cover story on New York Magazine saying that next year, Mo is going to be a full time evangelist. Surprised no one seems to be picking up on this.

13. johnchesterny - Jun 13, 2013 at 9:58 AM

The Anti-Rod

14. Old Gator - Jun 13, 2013 at 12:19 PM

I think Mo was just getting a leg up and checking out various possibilities for his post-baseball career. I’m sure that in addition to delivering pizzas, he has considered other options in finance, insurance, real estate and biofuel production.

• fanofevilempire - Jun 13, 2013 at 2:20 PM

do you know if he is installing solar panels to reduce his families foot print?

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3886)