Jun 13, 2013, 3:22 PM EST
Rick Ankiel has elected to become a free agent again after being designated for assignment by the Mets last week.
Ankiel has now been let go by two of the five worst teams (Astros, Mets) in baseball this season while hitting .188 with 60 strikeouts in 136 trips to the plate. He’s a helluva story and universally well-liked around baseball, but Ankiel is 33 years old and hasn’t topped a .725 OPS since 2008.
Since moving from pitcher to outfielder in 2007 he’s appeared in 598 games for six different teams while hitting a combined .242 with a .304 on-base percentage and .424 slugging percentage.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 48
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)