Jun 13, 2013, 3:22 PM EDT
Rick Ankiel has elected to become a free agent again after being designated for assignment by the Mets last week.
Ankiel has now been let go by two of the five worst teams (Astros, Mets) in baseball this season while hitting .188 with 60 strikeouts in 136 trips to the plate. He’s a helluva story and universally well-liked around baseball, but Ankiel is 33 years old and hasn’t topped a .725 OPS since 2008.
Since moving from pitcher to outfielder in 2007 he’s appeared in 598 games for six different teams while hitting a combined .242 with a .304 on-base percentage and .424 slugging percentage.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)