The Dodgers say it’s not over between them and the Diamondbacks

Jun 13, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT

Greinke plunk

There were no beanballs or fisticuffs in last night’s Dodgers-Dbacks game, but ESPN Los Angeles reports that the Dodgers do not consider their score with Arizona to be settled:

“It’s not done,” reliever Ronald Belisario said … “If you really want to get technical about it, in baseball terms, it really shouldn’t be over,” Mattingly said.

That due to the tit-for-tat rules of beanballs. Which, while allegedly timeworn, time-tested and, in Mattingly’s view, “technical,” no one can ever agree upon. I mean, from where I’m sitting, a Dback got hit (Cody Ross), then a Dodger (Yasiel Puig), then a Dback (Miguel Montero), then a Dodger (Zack Greinke) so everyone is even. But maybe the fact that Ian Kennedy was throwing at Puig’s and Greinke’s heads means that the Dodgers get more shots at Arizona. Maybe the Ross one was unintentional and the Dodgers don’t count it. I have no idea.

All I know is that the teams still have ten more games against one another this season and if the Dodgers do what they’re implying they’ll do, someone is gonna get hurt.

1. elmo - Jun 13, 2013 at 10:35 AM

So now they have ‘unfinished business’ with both the Padres and the Dbacks. Here’s an idea, how about focusing on getting out of the basement instead of nursing grudges?

• rcquinn1972 - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Well said

• koufaxmitzvah - Jun 13, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Isn’t it funny how both teams with Unfinished Business conducted physical harm on Zack Greinke? It must be Greinke’s fault because both Ian Kennedy and Carlos Quentin don’t seem like completely unprofessional whiny-ass bitches to me.

• icanspeel - Jun 13, 2013 at 12:12 PM

It’s what happens when you have a last place team with high expectations.. Can’t win the games so they take their frustration out elsewhere.

• threefingerclown - Jun 13, 2013 at 2:35 PM

The Dodgers are the George Costanza of MLB. “Psychics, vacations… how about getting a job?”

• Anoesis - Jun 13, 2013 at 3:43 PM

My first thought, too, elmo. On the other side, one has to wonder about why teams above you in the standings keep wanting to hit you in the head with a baseball. Apparently winning four straight series against the Dodgers isn’t enough for the D-bags, they need to maim someone.

2. historiophiliac - Jun 13, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Please, gentlemen, think of Kemp’s grandparents.

• rocketsteadman - Jun 13, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Best tattoo ever!

• indaburg - Jun 13, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Why don’t they just kiss already? The tension is killing me.

3. heyblueyoustink - Jun 13, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Isn’t this the point where Mr.Mcmahon comes out of the tunnel and declares the stipulations of the match to keep everything under control?

Like a steel cage match? Tables, ladders, and chairs? A lumberjack match? Something?

• historiophiliac - Jun 13, 2013 at 10:50 AM

I think they should do some jello wrestling to raise money for charity.

• heyblueyoustink - Jun 13, 2013 at 10:52 AM

I think if they continue to try and assasinate eachother, that’s two less teams to worry about when it comes to the wild card spots ;-)

• historiophiliac - Jun 13, 2013 at 10:55 AM

That is barbaric…unlike grown men wrestling in wiggly jello, which is mature and decent.

• heyblueyoustink - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Easy way to tear up a knee. Imagine that post: Baseball player injured in Jello wrestling match.

• historiophiliac - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:13 AM

I’d have to watch it over and over to isolate where it went wrong.

4. joshfrancis50 - Jun 13, 2013 at 10:39 AM

“Over? Did you say over? Nothing is over until WE DECIDE IT IS!” – Mark McGwire postgame speech to whoever is within earshot

• heyblueyoustink - Jun 13, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Latent Roid Rage?

• Anoesis - Jun 13, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Bluto flashback.

• apkyletexas - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:09 AM

“We gotta take these bastards. Now we could do it with conventional weapons, but that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody’s part!” – Donny Baseball agreeing with Mark McGwire

• jobusbartender - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Oh really? Like your season Mark?

5. cur68 - Jun 13, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Thes guys need to pay more attention to Neil deGrasse Tyson and less to “unwritten rules”.

• historiophiliac - Jun 13, 2013 at 10:47 AM

NdGT is clearly a man of wisdom and refinement. Without a doubt, a bread pudding eater.

• cur68 - Jun 13, 2013 at 10:56 AM

No. Way.

He’s a cake man. No doubt about it. Look at that girth! The man has gravitas. The kind of gravitas you get from cake. Not that jowly, bloodshot look you get from bread pudding or the lard-butt, hairless look you get from pie (spits).

• historiophiliac - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Judging from paper’s input, I think pie gives you hair…just not on your chest, maybe. And why does every conversation with you dude revolve around your balls? Fine, he has cake balls. Happy?

• Old Gator - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Then I better switch from bread pudding back to pie. I have been suffering unspeakably from phantom hair pain for the last decade or so.

• historiophiliac - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Hair pain? I don’t think I want to know.

• cur68 - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:54 AM

/looks over what I wrote for reference to balls. Can’t see the reference. Adjusts monocle. Lights pipe. Contemplates ‘philliac’s penchant for seeing balls where no balls were placed. Smirks.

• historiophiliac - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:56 AM

I just wanted to say “cake balls.” he he Yum. he he

• indaburg - Jun 13, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Tsk. Bread pudding. Misguided Midwesterner.

6. pinkfloydprism - Jun 13, 2013 at 10:53 AM

The Dodgers are crying like a last place team… Oh, wait. They are a last place team.

7. chill1184 - Jun 13, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Of course it’s not over, half the season isn’t finished yet.

8. bisonaudit - Jun 13, 2013 at 10:58 AM

You can’t throw at people’s heads. Unless MLB’s suspension of Kennedy is more or less unprecedented I think the Dodgers are within their rights if they choose to retaliate.

• natslady - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:23 AM

BTW, what is taking so long with those suspensions? Maybe they are timing them so Kennedy HAS to miss a start? Not that he’s worth that much, anyway. Got shelled on June 6 for a -2 Game Score (although I fault Gibson for leaving him in that long).

9. DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:17 AM

“Hi, Don? Joe Torre, here. We haven’t had the chance to meet formally – I had your job before you. Listen, want to talk to you about this very thinly vailed threat you made…..I have Brain Sabean and Mike Rizzo on the line as well, so that you realize it is not just you I am doing this to”

• Alex K - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:49 AM

It’s hard for me to ignore the fact that Mattingly coached under Torre for a lot of years for this joke.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Oh yea…I am going to have a talk with my research department. They are getting as sloppy as my spell checker

• Alex K - Jun 13, 2013 at 12:01 PM

It happens to everyone. My research department has stunk it up worse than this many times.

I honestly thought you were just going for the joke since Mattingly was his bench coach for a while in NY and LA.

10. yahmule - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:42 AM

”If you really want to get technical about it, in baseball terms, it really shouldn’t be over,” Mattingly said.

What should be over is your laughable attempt at a managerial career, hack.

• rcquinn1972 - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I’m a BoSox fan, and even I think that is BRUTAL! I am on the fence about Donny Baseball, but you certainly are not. Go Sox!

11. rcquinn1972 - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Can’t we all just get along and play nice? Like the Red Sox and Yankees rivalry! :)

12. yahmule - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:45 AM

The Dodgers and DBacks have had issues before. Kershaw and Parra being the main antagonists. The Rockies are the only team in the division not currently embroiled in a blood feud with the Dodgers.

• rcquinn1972 - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:49 AM

That’s a good point. Everyone in the division hates the effing Dodgers, LOL.

13. realgone2 - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:48 AM

• rcquinn1972 - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:50 AM

That was awesome!

14. zacksdad - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Baseball should get of crazy unwriten rules. Be like basketball, you come on the playing field and you get suspended.

If you decide to suspend a player, they should prorate based how often you play. If a pitcher deserves 2 game suspension, then take the percentage of games played and use that to determine the number of games suspended. If he plays 20% of the games and he deserves a 2 game suspension then suspend him for 10.

Also get rid of ability to delay the suspension by appeal. If he appeals, then either force to finish the appeal or let MLB decide when the appeal should start.

Pitchers should be ejected immediately if they throw at players in retaliation. No warning just throw them out. See how often they do it after that.

• anxovies - Jun 13, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Oh come on. Where’s the fun in that?

15. vikesfansteve - Jun 13, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Talk about taking a quote out of context. This is from a press conference where Mattingly said it’s over. In the middle of saying it’s over he clarified the situation in baseball terms for the Dodgers perspective but right after saying that he said it’s over then went out and shook Gibson’s hand before the game.

WHAT A LOAD OF B.S. THAT OUT OF CONTEXT QUOTE IS IN THIS ARTICLE. SHAME ON YOU.

• davidpom50 - Jun 13, 2013 at 12:51 PM

He also went out of his way in the article, after describing how he saw it, to say that Gibson probably has a totally different interpretation, and that he was going to seek out Trammell to apologize for the body slam.

Belisario, on the other hand, is a crazy coked up psycho.

16. davidpom50 - Jun 13, 2013 at 12:49 PM

By my count:
    1 D’backs player got hit – find video of Cody Ross. I don’t think the ball hit him, and it wouldn’t be surprising at all if Clint Fagan blew the call. He’s the same guy who gave Puig 4 strikes just before the Ross play. He has no idea what’s happening around him. I would suspect Kennedy was throwing at Puig’s head for the 4 strike thing in his previous at-bat.
    3 Dodgers got hit, two in the head. People seem to be forgetting that after the brawl, the D’backs brought in a lefty to face right handed Mark Ellis, who has a massive platoon split. Ellis got plunked on the leg, bringing up a left handed hitter.

With all of that said, I hope this bullshit is over. I understand why the Dodgers are so pissed, but this tit-for-tat “fertilizer” is only going to hurt the team. They already lost Puig for most of the game yesterday due to the brawl, they lost Grienke for a month in the Quentin fight. And while it can only help the team for Donnie and Belisario to get suspended, losing Puig/Kershaw/Ethier/Howell/Schumaker would be awful.

17. drewsylvania - Jun 13, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Children, please.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3028)