There is “zero chance” Wally Backman will be the Mets next manager

Jun 13, 2013, 9:13 AM EST

Wally Backman, Tim Teufel

As we noted previously, the demotion of Ike Davis has put his new manager in Las Vegas — Wally Backman — in the spotlight. This is because there is a loud contingent of Mets fans and New York reporters who like Backman, want him to be the next Mets manager and are viewing this as Backman’s opportunity to do, well, whatever Wally Backman is supposed to be good at doing. Motivating Davis, maybe, fixing all that’s wrong with the Mets. It’s his time to shine, they say.

Well, he’s going about it the wrong way. David Lennon of Newsday reports:

Backman’s bold guarantees this week about fixing Ike Davis have rubbed some in the organization the wrong way after so much time and effort trying to help Davis at the major-league level. When asked about the possibility of Backman eventually taking over for Collins, one person familiar with the situation replied, “There’s zero chance of that happening. Zero.”

Andy Martino of the Daily News has followup:

“I’m sorry if I ruffled any feathers,” Backman told the Daily News. “If you’ve got an issue with me, call me.”  Backman, who was already in the organization when Sandy Alderson arrived in 2010, remains very unlikely to be named manager of the Mets under the current regime.

So keep on wishcasting, Backman backers, but it doesn’t look good for your boy.

1. chill1184 - Jun 13, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Good, the guy would be a huge distraction

• Old Gator - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:00 AM

I agree. Better that the Mutts should continue to be so easy to ignore.

• chill1184 - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Yea because the raw sewage Minnows are so going to be such a powerhouse next season

• Old Gator - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:32 AM

You have no aptitude for irony, do you? Did you actually think, after reading my posts on the subject, that you could offend me by ragging on the Feesh? That’s called “grasping at straws.”

• thebadguyswon - Jun 13, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Yeah, I would only find Gator offensive if he never slammed his Marlins. But he’s an equal-opportunity basher.

2. rickdobrydney - Jun 13, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Good—–you don’t want him throwing bats, gloves , and whatever else at Mr. Met……..

3. eshine76 - Jun 13, 2013 at 9:43 AM

I used to work in minor league baseball and witnessed Backman at his “best.” He was thrown out of a game for arguing a close play. He apparently was also upset with how the official scorer scored that particular hit / error and proceeded to call the press box repeatedly to yell at the scorer until the phone was disconnected. When the game ended a couple of hours later, he marched up to the press box and started banging on the door, yelling for the official scorer, who was eventually escorted by police to his car. I’ve never measured it, but I’d say his “grit” and “Will To Win” stats are off the charts.

• Old Gator - Jun 13, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Just out of curiosity, how many years ago was that, and which team was he managing when that occurred? That’s a nice generic story. Specifics?

• eshine76 - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:41 AM

It was 10 years ago when he was managing the Lynchburg Hillcats in the Carolina League.

• eshine76 - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:50 AM

I hope you weren’t insinuating that I might be making up or imbellishing the story. I’ve got better things to do.

• Old Gator - Jun 13, 2013 at 12:10 PM

One lives and hopes. No, not specifically that you were making it up – it’s just that sports journalism (if it can be dignified with that description) is reknowned for representing second and thirdhand or utterly apocryphal stories as factual. Once in a while, it’s nice to have such vagaries made clearer. In the case of this story, ten years is a long time – especially considering that your story takes us back to when Backman was still dealing with his marital and drinking problems. The vagueness of your original account conflated what happened way back then with the issues currently before the team and its fans. Knowing when and where it happened helps shed some light on how far he’s come since then – which, after all, is only fair.

• eshine76 - Jun 13, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Fair enough.

4. Old Gator - Jun 13, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Sounds like the Wilpoon era Mutts are determined to remain a bunch of gray flannel mediocrities. Buddha forbid anyone bring anything like confidence, fire and spirit to their grease stain of a team.

• neoshweaty - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:25 AM

The Wilpons and the organization seem to be really thinned skinned. I mean, I don’t particularly care either way about Backman, but maybe something different should be tried. Then again, barring some massive infusion of talent from ????? I don’t how much better the team is going to be before 2015.

• Old Gator - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Thin skinned and thick skulled. Not to mention inept to a fault.

• neoshweaty - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Your description is too apt.

Why do I root for them? I’ve asked myself this far too many times over the years especially since their NLCS run in 06.

• Old Gator - Jun 13, 2013 at 12:13 PM

I know how you feel. I’m in a similar situation with the Feesh – except that if the Wilpoons are inept, Scrooge McLoria is a crook, a parasite, a civic disgrace and a pathological liar. As far as where the teams are going for the long haul, we’re in the same boat.

5. statuscrow8 - Jun 13, 2013 at 12:15 PM

What would a losing, lying, dysfunctional organization like the Mets want with a hardnosed, straightshooting, win-or-die-trying Wally Backman? I’ve been a fan since 1981, but I just can’t take it anymore.

• Old Gator - Jun 13, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Bottom line is that he would put tushies in the seats. He’s one of the very few guys people would buy tickets to see manage, or would buy tickets to support the team because he was managing it. In other words, Backman has lots of fans. How many fans do you think come to the park because Terry Collins is managing the team.

That and, as I’ve noted before, he drives and inspires his teams and he wins. True, no one could win very much with this bunch – but I bet that Wally would get more out of these sad sacks than Collins does.

• mrhojorisin - Jun 13, 2013 at 4:22 PM

But that wouldn’t last unless the team was performing. The Mets aren’t even coming close to selling out Matt Harvey’s starts now. No way fans will come in droves night after night just because Wally’s there… especially when you consider that his “demonstrative” behavior would likely be reined well in, and therefore not a selling point.

• Old Gator - Jun 13, 2013 at 5:52 PM

I don’t think his tantrums would be the selling point. My operative assumption is, of course, that he would in fact improve the performance of the team. The obvious caveat is that Alderson and the Wilpoons would have to back him up and listen to him. If they don’t do that, there’d be no point in hiring him in the first place.

6. thebadguyswon - Jun 13, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Not buying the validity of this. “A source familiar with the situation”

Yeah, that’s convincing. Typical NY media. Manufacture a story when nothing interesting is going on with the big league team.

7. psuorioles - Jun 13, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Go to YouTube and Search: Wally Bachman ejection. It might be one of the greatest things I’ve seen on a baseball field. It’s well worth the time.

• thebadguyswon - Jun 13, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Yes, that is epic.

8. louhudson23 - Jun 13, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Watched him manage the Birmingham Barons(AA) some years back….team was interested, committed and fun to watch….won the SL in 02 under Backman…..

9. thebadguyswon - Jun 13, 2013 at 4:03 PM

I have no doubt Wally Backman would be a good manager. Its a question of whether the Wilpons have the balls to hire him. I doubt it. But I don’t buy this “story” from the famous “source familiar with the situation” either.

10. mackthebutterknife - Jun 13, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Wally Backman will make a fine manager, and like the energy he brings. That being said, the Mets problem is not Terry Collins, or the coaching staff. They do not have the players, and that blame falls squarely on the General Manager. I think Sandy Alderson has the right idea in building from within and then filling in missing pieces with free agency, but right now there are so many holes at both the Major League and Minor League level that there is no way (if the Mets are honest about it) that this team can be a winner by 2014. Yes, the young pitching of Harvey, Niese, Wheeler and maybe even Montero and Syndegaard might be here by that time, but outfielders like Nimmo, Dominic Smith are many years away. Duda so far has been a let down, and of course Ike Davis is a complete flame out. Tejada has regressed from potential to a disappointment. It would take all of these players to rise like the Phoenix bird to even have a shot in 2014. This “young” nucleus will gel sometime in 2016 in my opinion, mostly based on the really strong pitching and the single A and rookie ball outfielders. By the way, I live out here in California as a diehard NY Mets fan, grew up in NY, and that Dominic Smith is a real stud. He is going to be great!

• thebadguyswon - Jun 13, 2013 at 6:52 PM

You nailed it. The Mets may have a really nice team in the future, but the future is not 2014.

11. spedman24 - Jun 13, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Backman is an absolute mess…I love the mets, just bc this fool contributed in ’86 doesn’t mean he should be their mgr. he already had a chance in zona & got wasted and smacked his wife — guy is a dummy.

12. antelope850 - Jun 13, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Craig,

Why so much snark about the possibility of Wally Backman managing the Mets? You did it two years ago when he interviewed for the job .. You backed off a bit two days ago when you thought there was a chance it might happen .. And now you react almost with glee to the reports in this post. Seems strange and, I’d like to think, beneath you. But maybe I gave you too much credit. You were positive the Madoff recovery attorneys would force the Wilpons to sell a couple
    years back. And mocked the papers that, correctly as it turned out, suggested they were being squeezed too much by the attorneys. And heaped praise upon the papers that, incorrectly as it turned out, suggested the Wilpons would be destroyed by the Madoff recovery attorneys, to the tune of a billion dollars or more. While I wish you were right about that because of their ineptitude at running the franchise, you were always too quick to want to believe the worst about the Wilpons in that situation, and seemed to take pleasure in what you saw as their inevitable financial disaster or worse. I wonder if you can even see it.

13. dawglb - Jun 13, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Wally Backman will never get a shot at a Big League team. His background is as shady as it gets. He has significant issues. It is a gift that he still has a job in baseball.

14. proudliberal85392 - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:07 PM

He could come back to the Dbacks. Maybe 5 days this time.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5137)