Jun 13, 2013, 9:13 AM EDT
As we noted previously, the demotion of Ike Davis has put his new manager in Las Vegas — Wally Backman — in the spotlight. This is because there is a loud contingent of Mets fans and New York reporters who like Backman, want him to be the next Mets manager and are viewing this as Backman’s opportunity to do, well, whatever Wally Backman is supposed to be good at doing. Motivating Davis, maybe, fixing all that’s wrong with the Mets. It’s his time to shine, they say.
Well, he’s going about it the wrong way. David Lennon of Newsday reports:
Backman’s bold guarantees this week about fixing Ike Davis have rubbed some in the organization the wrong way after so much time and effort trying to help Davis at the major-league level. When asked about the possibility of Backman eventually taking over for Collins, one person familiar with the situation replied, “There’s zero chance of that happening. Zero.”
“I’m sorry if I ruffled any feathers,” Backman told the Daily News. “If you’ve got an issue with me, call me.” Backman, who was already in the organization when Sandy Alderson arrived in 2010, remains very unlikely to be named manager of the Mets under the current regime.
So keep on wishcasting, Backman backers, but it doesn’t look good for your boy.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 75
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 26
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 23
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 28
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 76
- Indians place starter Carlos Carrasco on 15-day disabled list with right shoulder discomfort 1
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (198)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (131)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)