Jun 13, 2013, 9:13 AM EDT
As we noted previously, the demotion of Ike Davis has put his new manager in Las Vegas — Wally Backman — in the spotlight. This is because there is a loud contingent of Mets fans and New York reporters who like Backman, want him to be the next Mets manager and are viewing this as Backman’s opportunity to do, well, whatever Wally Backman is supposed to be good at doing. Motivating Davis, maybe, fixing all that’s wrong with the Mets. It’s his time to shine, they say.
Well, he’s going about it the wrong way. David Lennon of Newsday reports:
Backman’s bold guarantees this week about fixing Ike Davis have rubbed some in the organization the wrong way after so much time and effort trying to help Davis at the major-league level. When asked about the possibility of Backman eventually taking over for Collins, one person familiar with the situation replied, “There’s zero chance of that happening. Zero.”
“I’m sorry if I ruffled any feathers,” Backman told the Daily News. “If you’ve got an issue with me, call me.” Backman, who was already in the organization when Sandy Alderson arrived in 2010, remains very unlikely to be named manager of the Mets under the current regime.
So keep on wishcasting, Backman backers, but it doesn’t look good for your boy.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 46
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 15
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)