Jun 13, 2013, 10:33 PM EDT
UPDATE: Thomas Harding of MLB.com reports that Tulowitzki is expected to miss 4-6 weeks. The Rockies will likely recall Josh Rutledge to replace him on the active roster, but it’s going to tough to hang around in the playoff race without him.
9:39 PM: Terrible news for the Rockies. Troy Renck of the Denver Post was told by major league sources that Tulowitzki was diagnosed with a broken rib on his right side following an MRI. He’s expected to face a lengthy absence.
9:33 PM: The Rockies have been one of baseball’s biggest surprises this season in part because Troy Tulowitzki and Carlos Gonzalez have been healthy and extremely productive, but today wasn’t very kind to them.
Tulowitzki injured his ribs on a diving stop in the eighth inning of this afternoon’s game against the Nationals. Rockies manager Walt Weiss told Troy Renck of the Denver Post that he’s actually been dealing with soreness in the area for about a week. He’ll undergo an MRI to determine the severity of the injury, but he could obviously miss an extended period of time if it turns out to be one of those nasty strained oblique muscles.
Gonzalez and Dexter Fowler also left today’s game due to injury, but both are considered day-to-day for now. In a freak play, Gonzalez was hit in the left foot by a foul ball off the bat of Jordan Pacheco when he was standing in the on-deck circle in the first inning. Fortunately for the Rockies, X-rays came back negative. Fowler was later hit in the hand by a pitch while pulling back on a bunt attempt in the third inning, but was diagnosed with a right ring finger contusion. While he’s dealing with some swelling and can’t grip the bat at the moment, it appears that Tulowitzki could miss the most time among the injured trio.
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 48
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 21
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 52
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 39
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 20
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 159
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 33
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (159)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)