Jun 14, 2013, 6:45 AM EDT
Athletics 3, Yankees 2: Looking at the Yankees side of the box score and noting Robinson Cano‘s contributions compared to everyone else’s and this comes to mind. Mark Teixeira, Travis Hafner, Kevin Youkilis and Vernon Wells combined to go 0 for 28 with 12 strikeouts in this marathon game. And while, yes, hats off to the A’s staff for 17 consecutive scoreless innings, fact is that the Yankees offense has been absolutely terrible of late. 19th in runs scored, 23rd in batting average, 22nd in on base percentage and 21st in slugging percentage in all of baseball.
Orioles 5, Red Sox 4: It’s not often that a 13 inning game is the third longest of the day, but that’s yesterday for you. The Orioles won despite leaving 16 runners on base and going 4 for 14 with runners in scoring position. Thirteen pitchers used between the two clubs in the first of a four-game series. So this one should be fun to watch this weekend.
Cubs 6, Reds 5: This one went 14, and the Cubs finally broke the Reds Wrigley Field winning streak. The Cubs bullpen racked up 13 strikeouts over eight scoreless innings.
Royals 10, Rays 1: Elliott Johnson hit a three-run homer and was 3 for 4 overall against his old club. Ervin Santana allowed but an unearned run in seven and two-thirds. Jeremy Hellickson? Five and two-thirds, ten hits, eight runs. More like Jeremy Shellackison, amirite?
Nationals 5, Rockies 4: Troy Tulowitzki, Carlos Gonzalez and Dexter Fowler drive the Rockies. Troy Tulowitzki, Carlos Gonzalez and Dexter Fowler each left yesterday’s game with injuries. So, yeah. Tulowitzki is going to miss 4-6 weeks. This could be the end of the frisky portion of the Rockies’ season. Meanwhile, Ryan Zimmerman homered, doubled and drove in three runs, Desmond got four hits.
Giants 10, Pirates 0: Matt Cain: much better these days. He tossed six and two-thirds scoreless innings and wasn’t wanting for run support. Hunter Pence drove in three and is hitting .296/.341/.518 on the year.
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 44
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 53
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 30
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Ryan Hanigan needs surgery, so the Red Sox will call up prospect Blake Swihart 15
- Royals’ bullpen blows no-hit bid in the eighth inning against the Tigers 7
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs 93
- Video: Remembering Rickey Henderson’s record-setting stolen base 31
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (362)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)