Jun 14, 2013, 6:45 AM EDT
Athletics 3, Yankees 2: Looking at the Yankees side of the box score and noting Robinson Cano‘s contributions compared to everyone else’s and this comes to mind. Mark Teixeira, Travis Hafner, Kevin Youkilis and Vernon Wells combined to go 0 for 28 with 12 strikeouts in this marathon game. And while, yes, hats off to the A’s staff for 17 consecutive scoreless innings, fact is that the Yankees offense has been absolutely terrible of late. 19th in runs scored, 23rd in batting average, 22nd in on base percentage and 21st in slugging percentage in all of baseball.
Orioles 5, Red Sox 4: It’s not often that a 13 inning game is the third longest of the day, but that’s yesterday for you. The Orioles won despite leaving 16 runners on base and going 4 for 14 with runners in scoring position. Thirteen pitchers used between the two clubs in the first of a four-game series. So this one should be fun to watch this weekend.
Cubs 6, Reds 5: This one went 14, and the Cubs finally broke the Reds Wrigley Field winning streak. The Cubs bullpen racked up 13 strikeouts over eight scoreless innings.
Royals 10, Rays 1: Elliott Johnson hit a three-run homer and was 3 for 4 overall against his old club. Ervin Santana allowed but an unearned run in seven and two-thirds. Jeremy Hellickson? Five and two-thirds, ten hits, eight runs. More like Jeremy Shellackison, amirite?
Nationals 5, Rockies 4: Troy Tulowitzki, Carlos Gonzalez and Dexter Fowler drive the Rockies. Troy Tulowitzki, Carlos Gonzalez and Dexter Fowler each left yesterday’s game with injuries. So, yeah. Tulowitzki is going to miss 4-6 weeks. This could be the end of the frisky portion of the Rockies’ season. Meanwhile, Ryan Zimmerman homered, doubled and drove in three runs, Desmond got four hits.
Giants 10, Pirates 0: Matt Cain: much better these days. He tossed six and two-thirds scoreless innings and wasn’t wanting for run support. Hunter Pence drove in three and is hitting .296/.341/.518 on the year.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 36
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 213
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 31
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 42
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (213)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (103)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)