Jun 14, 2013, 11:20 PM EDT
The Braves had been internally debating for a while what to do when Brandon Beachy is activated from the disabled list. Would they use the 26-man rule to use him for Tuesday’s double-header against the Mets, and then figure it out in a week? Would they move Kris Medlen to the bullpen? Or attempt to trade either Tim Hudson or Paul Maholm? It is no longer an issue as Beachy has been scratched from that Tuesday start after a disappointing performance in his latest rehab start.
David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution described Beachy’s concerning performance:
Beachy struggled with his command in three innings for Triple-A Gwinnett Thursday night in Rochester, walking four and allowing three runs (two earned) while throwing only 38 strikes in 69 pitches.
The Braves had planned to back Beachy down Thursday night for the final scheduled outing of his minor league rehabilitation assignment, with a limit of 80-85 pitches. So the fact that he only threw 69 pitches over three innings wasn’t a big issue. But he pitched behind for much of the outing and needed 53 pitches to get through the first two innings.
Braves GM Frank Wren wouldn’t reveal the team’s plan for Tuesday’s double-header with the Mets now that Beachy is a no-go. O’Brien speculates reliever Alex Wood could fill in for a spot start, but Wren had previously said they wouldn’t let him get to 100 pitches, meaning it would be a taxing day for the bullpen.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 11
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)