Jun 14, 2013, 7:05 PM EDT
After weeks of speculation, the Mets made it official: they are calling up top prospect Zack Wheeler on Tuesday. The Mets play a day/night double-header against the Braves and will fire a double-barreled shot of young arms, going with Matt Harvey in the afternoon and Wheeler in the evening most likely.
The Mets acquired Wheeler from the Giants in July 2011 in the Carlos Beltran trade. With Triple-A Las Vegas this year, Wheeler posted a 3.93 ERA in 68.2 innings. The ERA may seem unimpressive, but Las Vegas is known as an extremely hitter-friendly environment. Reliever Greg Burke called it “the worst pitching place imaginable”. The good news is that Wheeler is averaging better than a strikeout per inning pitched and has continued to improve his control.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 16
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 26
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 26
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)