Jun 14, 2013, 7:05 PM EDT
After weeks of speculation, the Mets made it official: they are calling up top prospect Zack Wheeler on Tuesday. The Mets play a day/night double-header against the Braves and will fire a double-barreled shot of young arms, going with Matt Harvey in the afternoon and Wheeler in the evening most likely.
The Mets acquired Wheeler from the Giants in July 2011 in the Carlos Beltran trade. With Triple-A Las Vegas this year, Wheeler posted a 3.93 ERA in 68.2 innings. The ERA may seem unimpressive, but Las Vegas is known as an extremely hitter-friendly environment. Reliever Greg Burke called it “the worst pitching place imaginable”. The good news is that Wheeler is averaging better than a strikeout per inning pitched and has continued to improve his control.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)