Jun 14, 2013, 7:05 PM EDT
After weeks of speculation, the Mets made it official: they are calling up top prospect Zack Wheeler on Tuesday. The Mets play a day/night double-header against the Braves and will fire a double-barreled shot of young arms, going with Matt Harvey in the afternoon and Wheeler in the evening most likely.
The Mets acquired Wheeler from the Giants in July 2011 in the Carlos Beltran trade. With Triple-A Las Vegas this year, Wheeler posted a 3.93 ERA in 68.2 innings. The ERA may seem unimpressive, but Las Vegas is known as an extremely hitter-friendly environment. Reliever Greg Burke called it “the worst pitching place imaginable”. The good news is that Wheeler is averaging better than a strikeout per inning pitched and has continued to improve his control.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 0
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 7
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 31
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (204)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)