Jun 14, 2013, 7:05 PM EDT
After weeks of speculation, the Mets made it official: they are calling up top prospect Zack Wheeler on Tuesday. The Mets play a day/night double-header against the Braves and will fire a double-barreled shot of young arms, going with Matt Harvey in the afternoon and Wheeler in the evening most likely.
The Mets acquired Wheeler from the Giants in July 2011 in the Carlos Beltran trade. With Triple-A Las Vegas this year, Wheeler posted a 3.93 ERA in 68.2 innings. The ERA may seem unimpressive, but Las Vegas is known as an extremely hitter-friendly environment. Reliever Greg Burke called it “the worst pitching place imaginable”. The good news is that Wheeler is averaging better than a strikeout per inning pitched and has continued to improve his control.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 25
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 17
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)