Jun 14, 2013, 11:50 PM EST
Orioles third baseman Manny Machado doubled twice off of Red Sox starter Ryan Dempster tonight, giving him 30 on the season. ESPN Stats & Info tweeted this interesting piece of trivia after Machado’s second double of the night in the Orioles’ 2-0 victory:
Most 2B Thru 68 Team Games Under Age 22 Since 1920 2013 Manny Machado 30 1939 Ted Williams 25 1936 Joe DiMaggio 24
— ESPN Stats & Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) June 15, 2013
Any time you can be mentioned in the same breath as Ted Williams and Joe DiMaggio, you’re doing a good job.
The single-season record for doubles is 67 by Earl Webb in 1931. Machado needs just 37 doubles over his team’s final 94 games to tie the record, a rate of one double every 2.5 games. If he continues at his current rate of doubles, 1 per 2.27 games, he would wind up at 71 doubles.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (87)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)