Jun 14, 2013, 11:50 PM EDT
Orioles third baseman Manny Machado doubled twice off of Red Sox starter Ryan Dempster tonight, giving him 30 on the season. ESPN Stats & Info tweeted this interesting piece of trivia after Machado’s second double of the night in the Orioles’ 2-0 victory:
Most 2B Thru 68 Team Games Under Age 22 Since 1920 2013 Manny Machado 30 1939 Ted Williams 25 1936 Joe DiMaggio 24
— ESPN Stats & Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) June 15, 2013
Any time you can be mentioned in the same breath as Ted Williams and Joe DiMaggio, you’re doing a good job.
The single-season record for doubles is 67 by Earl Webb in 1931. Machado needs just 37 doubles over his team’s final 94 games to tie the record, a rate of one double every 2.5 games. If he continues at his current rate of doubles, 1 per 2.27 games, he would wind up at 71 doubles.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 62
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 58
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 51
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11