MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee

Jun 14, 2013, 1:22 PM EDT

Trammell Mattingly

The discipline has been handed down for the Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee on Tuesday night. Twelve different people were disciplined with eight being handed suspensions. The breakdown:

• Ian Kennedy gets a ten-game suspension;
  • Eric Hinske gets a five-game suspension;
  • J.P. Howell and Skip Schumaker each get two-game suspensions;
  • Ronald Belisario gets a one-game suspension;
  • Dodgers coach Mark McGwire was suspended two games;
  • Dodgers manager Don Mattingly and Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson were each suspended for one;
  • Fines in undisclosed amounts were handed out to┬áZack Greinke, Yasiel Puig, Miguel Montero and Gerardo Parra;
  • The Dodgers were fined as a team for allowing players on the disabled list — Josh Beckett and Chris Capuano — to go out onto the field during the fight. How they, as a team, were supposed to stop them when their managers and coaches were all out there fighting too I have no idea.

Kinda surprising that Greinke didn’t get any time off for clearly throwing at Miguel Montero, but I suppose the powers that be figure him being plunked was enough.

As for the others: We live in a world where throwing a fastball at someone’s head makes you miss one start, in all likelihood. Two at most. We also live in aw world where the managers who preside over the beanball wars get a slap on the wrist. That doesn’t seem right to me. Managers set the tone for their team and players feel obligated to engage in these battles lest they fall out of favor with their managers. The penalties should be greater.

The managers and coaches will begin serving their suspensions immediately. Players have a right to appeal. If they do, they will not be suspended until the appeal is heard.

111 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. alwaysdodgers - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:25 PM

I think the suspensions are fair, I’ve seen some people ask why pitchers only get ten games, when its only two for them, but; when you look at it… The MLB isn’t gonna suspend Kennedy for 40 or 50 games, so it could it equal to position players

• historiophiliac - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:30 PM

But the punishment should be worse for throwing at heads.

• indaburg - Jun 14, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Which one?

• natslady - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Why not? Never mind if it is “equal” to position players. It isn’t–it’s worse. A position player didn’t throw at someone’s head. The pitcher is standing there with a weapon in his hand and he needs to remember that.

I don’t admire the players and coaches for fighting–if you want fights, go to a hockey game, or better, a boxing match. There is a reason boxing has fallen out of favor, it’s simply not that interesting to watch guys bash each other–except in the movies, of course. And it’s certainly not interesting when it’s done with anger/frustration and not with the skill or tactics that might occur in a boxing match.

• brewcrewfan54 - Jun 14, 2013 at 3:27 PM

The rise of MMA and the popularity of football leads me to believe people love watching people bash each other. Skillful or not.

2. natslady - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:33 PM

This is nuts. You get 50 games for smoking pot (which I don’t) or taking a supplement which is perfectly legal outside of baseball I’m not saying change that rule. BUT. Ten games for throwing a baseball high around the shoulder/head area and hitting two guys there in one game????

Guys get injured all the time–just ask the Rockies, who had high hopes before yesterday. There is no reason to accept deliberate actions that could lead to injuries. If baseball is so concerned that PEDs are affecting the game, why aren’t they just as concerned about headhunting?

• badintent - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:19 AM

Bud is just plain stupid at times.So are the people that work for him. Because he picked them. Cue Forrest Gump…..Stupid …………………………………………………….

3. alwaysdodgers - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:40 PM

@historiophilliac I get what you’re saying, but the MLB is not gonna suspend Kennedy for 40 games. Which is technically 9-10 games for a pitcher, that’s a lot. Believe it or not, missing 2 games is something to think about if you’re Ian Kennedy.

• natslady - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:46 PM

I respect you for saying that as a Dodger fan, and I also agree that we are whistling in the win expecting a 40-50 game suspension for Kennedy. But if you don’t at least ask—? MLB needs to get feedback that Kennedy’s behaviors is not acceptable. The fighting and stuff–yuck. But Kennedy should get severely punished, as what he did was deliberate and with forethought.

Both managers should get more. Gibson for tolerating/encouraging Kennedy and Mattingly for making threats.

• sabatimus - Jun 14, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Yes, coaches need to be held to a higher standard. If Mattingly shoves Trammel to the ground (if indeed he did; it appeared that way but I’m not sure), he should get 10 games minimum.

4. realgone2 - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:47 PM

I call for public executions for all of them!

• denny65 - Jun 14, 2013 at 5:29 PM

“Public executions?” I’m sure the boys at Albuquerque and Memphis will give you several “thumbs up” for the suggestion.

5. alwaysdodgers - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:48 PM

@natslady True. But if you can remember, obviously Gibson gave the order to throw at Greinke, and Kennedy followed up on it, and immediately after the pitch, he walked off. I do think Kirk Gibson should’ve been suspended for more games, because he gave the order of hitting Greinke, and after Gibson was thrown out, he stayed on the field and was engaged in the fight, and was talking with the umpires. HE SHOULD BE OFF THE FIELD. I believe he should get a heavier suspension.

• koufaxmitzvah - Jun 14, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Kirk may have ordered the throw to Greinke. We can’t say for certain, but I’ll bet you $100 that Gibby didn’t say, “Sling it at his head.”

• cackalackyank - Jun 14, 2013 at 9:01 PM

That’s the problem with that horsehide covered sphere…when you start slinging it at a person, you just can’t say precisely what the outcome is going to be…which is why it shouldn’t be done.

• koufaxmitzvah - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:57 PM

A MLB pitcher should be able to aim at a hip. The point isn’t the retaliation; it’s that Kennedy doesn’t know how to do it. He’s a headhunter, which is worse than a goon.

6. alwaysdodgers - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:49 PM

@natslady. Agreed

7. alwaysdodgers - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:50 PM

And mattingly as well for tackling someone!!

8. bucsfan5000 - Jun 14, 2013 at 3:03 PM

How come fine amounts are not disclosed?

9. alwaysdodgers - Jun 14, 2013 at 3:51 PM

I hate all these statistical people who base everything off stats and previous records, people who have no idea what the hell they’re saying. If you’re one of those “analysts” type people than shut up already. Really think about this “If you’re one of those people who are glued to twitter all day talking their head off during a game, you don’t know shit about anything and annoy the hell out of people who are true old fashioned and smart sports fans.

• paperlions - Jun 14, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Old fashioned sports fans are not smart, just willfully ignorant. Suggesting that fandom should resemble the good old days is like saying medical practices were better back in the good old days of leeches and bleedings…before those damned scientists fucked it all up with their “knowledge”.

• historiophiliac - Jun 14, 2013 at 4:25 PM

I don’t even know what alwaysdodgers’ comment has to do with fighting punishments. Did you get it? I suspect he might have been throwing outside at you, and you swung at it, paper.

• paperlions - Jun 14, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Nope, he threw that one right at my head and I charged the mound.

• historiophiliac - Jun 14, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Funny, I assumed you were non-violent. At least it wasn’t a HBPiD. As you were.

• paperlions - Jun 14, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Yeah, I would have definitely charged the mound then…twice.

• historiophiliac - Jun 14, 2013 at 5:31 PM

If you could stand up, you mean? lol

• brewcrewfan54 - Jun 14, 2013 at 4:12 PM

You forgot to tell us to get off your lawn.

• jtacane - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:50 PM

ad,
      Learn how to count already will you. I know you can do it. I hate when folks who cant do something show their ignorance by hating on people who can. Then they compound their problem by saying idiotic things that magnify their incompetence.. Geeesh, Is that old school enough for you??

• badintent - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:25 AM

We got all the Twitterheads , Sabremetrics know it alls, a few rednecks, and the usual suspects, geek and nerds who know nothing about a sport they never played.PBT is like a magnet for all of them.Generation X, Y and F(fatass on the EA MLB video games all day and night computer gamers) . And a couple smart guys that played hardball like you and me.

10. rcali - Jun 14, 2013 at 3:54 PM

I would not want to be Ian Kennedy at bat the next time he pitches against the Dodgers.

11. onbucky96 - Jun 14, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Dirty baseball. Settle this Game of Thrones style- put someone’s head on a stick! That’ll quell the bean balling rebellions. Glad Joffrey, sorry, Kennedy will miss 2 starts, should have been more though.

12. alwaysdodgers - Jun 14, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Did you really just associate this with medical science­čśĺ. Seriously. This is the shit Im talking about. Talk about sports like a human being not a fucking computer.
    Example: if a team has beaten another team more times, a lot of people will say that THAT time has better odds of winning, not true, other aspects come into play. Pressure. Injuries. Different players

13. alwaysdodgers - Jun 14, 2013 at 4:30 PM

I know. It was random. But it irritates me that I see people talking about it all the time, and recently saw it, and said it on this conversation

14. alwaysdodgers - Jun 14, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Sorry my fellow people, my idiot friend was on my account saying the random comments… Sorry! Lol

15. jimeejohnson - Jun 14, 2013 at 9:08 PM

(West) L.A. fade away.
    Little red light on a highway
    Little green light on a speedway.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3194)