MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee

Jun 14, 2013, 1:22 PM EDT

Trammell Mattingly

The discipline has been handed down for the Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee on Tuesday night. Twelve different people were disciplined with eight being handed suspensions. The breakdown:

• Ian Kennedy gets a ten-game suspension;
  • Eric Hinske gets a five-game suspension;
  • J.P. Howell and Skip Schumaker each get two-game suspensions;
  • Ronald Belisario gets a one-game suspension;
  • Dodgers coach Mark McGwire was suspended two games;
  • Dodgers manager Don Mattingly and Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson were each suspended for one;
  • Fines in undisclosed amounts were handed out to Zack Greinke, Yasiel Puig, Miguel Montero and Gerardo Parra;
  • The Dodgers were fined as a team for allowing players on the disabled list — Josh Beckett and Chris Capuano — to go out onto the field during the fight. How they, as a team, were supposed to stop them when their managers and coaches were all out there fighting too I have no idea.

Kinda surprising that Greinke didn’t get any time off for clearly throwing at Miguel Montero, but I suppose the powers that be figure him being plunked was enough.

As for the others: We live in a world where throwing a fastball at someone’s head makes you miss one start, in all likelihood. Two at most. We also live in aw world where the managers who preside over the beanball wars get a slap on the wrist. That doesn’t seem right to me. Managers set the tone for their team and players feel obligated to engage in these battles lest they fall out of favor with their managers. The penalties should be greater.

The managers and coaches will begin serving their suspensions immediately. Players have a right to appeal. If they do, they will not be suspended until the appeal is heard.

111 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. valarmorghuliss - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Belisario should be banned from MLB

– Dodgers fans

• kingscourt25 - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:43 PM

And Brandon League!

• valarmorghuliss - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Yes, I’m sure League did something in the scrum that MLB should look at and consider voiding that contract.

• nudeman - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Actually, Mark McGwire should be banned.
      A totally irrelevant, disgraced former roid-head who tries to become relevant by getting in a fight with the opposing manager.
      He has no business even being employed in MLB, let along getting in a bench clearing brawl.

• valarmorghuliss - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:06 PM

LOL

2. lew24 - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:26 PM

The suspensions seem fair…but I do agree that MLB needs to be tougher on guys that are throwing at guys heads!

3. sabatimus - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:26 PM

A little surprised Trammel didn’t get suspended. I saw him dragging Mattingly down to the ground.

• lew24 - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:28 PM

I’m surprised Puig didn’t get suspended!

• itsacurse - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:31 PM

He did kinda almost get killed…

• sabatimus - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:35 PM

So am I.

• realgone2 - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:49 PM

You cant suspened the new darling of MLB. Also, think of all those merch sales?!

• captainloaded - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:57 PM

I have a hard time believing Puig was thinking straight after getting hit in the face. I know I wouldn’t.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Jun 14, 2013 at 3:31 PM

I’m surprised to see Hinske is still in the league. Haven’t heard his name before now this year.

4. packmaneffsanfran - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Kennedy should be banished from the MLB #Puig_4_Life

5. valarmorghuliss - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:29 PM

I thought Kennedy would get 12, he got 10, meh, close enough I guess. All I hope is that Kennedy will be considered a repeat offender, and they come down on him twice as hard if he’s in this situation again.

And why is Bic Mac getting 2? For scaring the hell outta some DBacks?

• sabatimus - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:37 PM

If Kennedy decides to appeal, those 10 games better not be lowered. And I think that McGwire got 2 for looking like he was going to explode.

• natslady - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Kennedy already IS a repeat offender, as he was involved in a mess with the Nats in 2011.

Home-plate umpire Rob Drake issued warnings in the top of the fifth after D-backs right-hander Ian Kennedy hit Jayson Werth with a pitch. It marked the third time Werth was hit in the series. He missed Friday’s game because he was hit on the elbow the previous day.

• arizdbacks - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:53 PM

If you want to talk about repeat offender, what about Greike, How many times has he gone after Carlos Quintin? He went after Ross first, and Kennedy trimmed Puig’s nose hairs. Greinke then failed to hit Montero, then had to just throw it at his back. Uribe and Puig should have gotten suspensions as well.

• valarmorghuliss - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:01 PM

I stopped reading after “He went after Ross first” Because that signals to me that you didn’t watch the game, and only glanced at a box score.

• paperlions - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Hah, I stopped reading after the statement about going after Quentin. Quentin gets hit all the time because he hangs over the plate and never moves. You don’t have to go after him to hit him, just miss a little high or a little inside and you’ll probably get him.

• koufaxmitzvah - Jun 14, 2013 at 4:49 PM

I stopped reading at Greike, with a comma as a period.

GIMME A BREAK!1!

6. jya87 - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Mattingly suspended? The Dodgers might have a chance at winning without getting shot in the foot by the manager today!

• davidpom50 - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Unfortunately, with Mattingly gone, Trey Hillman is in charge.

7. itsacurse - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Kudos to MLB for showing Puig leniency. His anger was justifiable seeing he got A FASTBALL IN THE FACE

8. albertmn - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:31 PM

They need to find a way to handle suspensions differently for starting pitchers. If Kennedy appeals and then drops his appeal after a start, he will miss one start and maybe have his next one pushed back on day. But, he misses 10 games worth of paychecks. Meanwhile, others may pay less on the monetary side, but actually miss more games of action. Doesn’t seem very equal. They ought to space out starter suspensions to guarantee they will miss a certain number of starts, but then maybe lessen the monetary loss to be more in line with what they actually missed. I don’t know, but something seems off in this whole thing.

• specialkindofstupid - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Agreed. I had a similar thought below in my comment (that I wrote before reading yours). Starting pitchers always seem to get off too easy (paychecks aside) when it comes to suspensions.

• hansob - Jun 14, 2013 at 4:08 PM

but if you’re punishing the player, the paycheck IS the main thing. Otherwise, you’re just punishing the team and the fans.

I think the punishment should have been bigger for Kennedy, but for different reasons.

• cackalackyank - Jun 14, 2013 at 9:12 PM

It seems in this matter you really need to punish the team, too. Kennedy is just doing what apparently his manager told him to do…so its not just about Kennedy’s paycheck. In reality the guy holding, (and then using) the potentially deadly weapon is getting what amounts to perhaps only a one game suspension. How does that discourage the behavior on the part of his team? The guys getting hit/hurt are getting 2 games for fighting back, so it should specify at least two (but I think it should be more) starts for Kennedy, since he is a starter.

9. flamethrower101 - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Frankly I’m shocked the suspensions are what they are. I imagined they would be far less given MLB’s complete incompetence with discipline. Carlos Quentin got 8 games after his brawl with Zack Greinke resulted in his broken collarbone. I was so sure Kennedy wouldn’t get more than 5.

Perhaps I’m just too cynical.

• conner71 - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:03 PM

One thing you have to remember is that for Quentin, 8 games was truely 8 games. For Kennedy, it’s only 2 games since he doesn’t play every game. That’s a slap on the wrist for throwing at somebody’s head in my opinion. I think it should have at least been 12 games (3 outings).

• pdowdy83 - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Yes, it is a $263,580 slap on the wrist. Kennedy makes $4.27m this year which divied by 162 games comes out to $26.358 a game. That is quit a chunk of change for getting suspended. Yes he only misses 1 or 2 starts but he still doesn’t collect his check during the other games.

10. mdub11 - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:33 PM

While I’m all for retaliation etiquette, we all know the team that fires back after the fact is the one that receives the harsher punishment. Doesn’t seem like that’s the case on this one.

11. goawaydog - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Grienke should have been suspended, maybe not 10 games like Kennedy, but he clearly has no issues about throwing at batters and cash alone wont stop him from doing it again.

• zacksdad - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:47 PM

So basically it is OK to throw at players in retaliation, just not at their heads. Maybe they were afraid to suspend him because of his medical condition. Might have been a lawsuit.

• paperlions - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:03 PM

The problem with suspending Grienke is how long? If you give him 4 games, he doesn’t miss a start; 5 games and he has a start pushed back 1 day, 6 games and he has a start pushed back 2 days. Yeah, he’ll lose the money, but to suspend him long enough for it to matter, Kennedy would have to get at least 15 games for the relative punishments to be reasonable.

• goawaydog - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:09 PM

I hate math. LOL, but point taken.

12. 13arod - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:35 PM

puig why didn’t he get suspented he was one of the main ones and mark only 2 GAMES mlb is stuiped

• jonrox - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:10 PM

>stuiped

13. specialkindofstupid - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:36 PM

If Kennedy and Arizona appeal his suspension until he makes his next start, then immediately withdraw the suspension and begin serving it…heck, he’ll only miss one start. And the rest will probably do him good, as it does most SP this time of the year.

Definitely a slap on the wrist for someone who threw at two guys’ heads. But then again, suspensions for starting pitchers always seem too light. I’m not sure what can be done about it short of suspending them for an obscene length of time.

• cackalackyank - Jun 14, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Real simple…Starting pitchers suspension should be written in “Suspended for x# of starts”, for middle relievers it would be for a certain # of innings, based on the average # of innings his team uses relievers, for closers it would be based on an average # of save situations for his team.

14. Taz - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:36 PM

So here’s the thing with SP suspensions. 10 games = 2 starts. So on the surface, that sounds like just two games whereas for a position player it’s 10 games. That’s obviously unfair.

But can we equate SP games vs. Position Player games? Isn’t a SP start more valuable than a single position player game? And by how much?

My question is: Is 2 starts from a SP equivalent in value to 10 games from a position player?

I don’t even know if that’s an answerable question, but I think that’s worth considering before jumping the idea that 10 games for Kennedy isn’t enough because he isn’t really missing 10 games.

(The other thing to consider is that since you can rearrange your rotation around the suspension, he can start one game, take the suspension, and pitch again ten days later, essentially missing only one start, as Craig stated in the post.)

• Taz - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:39 PM

(I wrote this before two other people brought it up, the parenthetical point specifically. They were submitted before I could submit my comment. Sorry for being redundant.)

• sabatimus - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Yeah, there’s ways to game the system so that suspensions for starting pitchers can be somewhat circumvented, and it’s high time that got addressed. The easiest way to do it would be to increase the length of the suspension. But I don’t think MLB is interested in eliminating throwings at players; they’re entertaining.

• natslady - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I wasn’t entertained, and I wasn’t entertained by that beanball war in 2011. It’s one thing if benches clear and guys yell or even shove a little. It’s another when they are throwing punches and bending other guys over railings, etc. That’s not what I pay to see, and it’s particularly bad when it’s the coaches and managers–who, again, I AM NOT PAYING TO SEE.

• natslady - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Although, I’ll give you that the Hamels/Harper thing was entertaining. Beyond that, guys shouldn’t be taking out their frustrations on the playing field. I don’t get to do that at my place of employment, why should they?

• sabatimus - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:02 PM

I guess there’s varying definitions of “entertaining”. You’re on here posting about it, so something is drawing you to it. I don’t think MLB cares whether one is angry at it or thinks it’s hilarious: the product is still being consumed and talked about.

• natslady - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:14 PM

@sabitmus–watching an event and being “entertained” by it are two different things. I watched wall-to-wall coverage of events in December. I wasn’t “entertained,” I was appalled and sympathetic and a hundred other emotions. But the primary emotion was, “How could this happen and please, don’t let it happen again.”

Baseball fights don’t fall in that category, of course. I come on here to say I don’t like the grown men fighting with baseballs and fists aspect of the game and would prefer that MLB not be so accepting of what is a dangerous practice. Where else should I express my opinion–a letter to Joe Torre?

15. commonsenseisnotcmonman - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:39 PM

What did Hinske do? I dont recall seeing him do anything (but i can be mistaken of course).

Also:
    Belisario and Puig threw punches: 1 game for Belisario
    Howell tossed the hitting coach over the rail: 2 games

This is kinda messed up, right?

• alxonl - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Hinkse punched Puig in the face, that’s why he lost his cool (after already being hit there by a Kennedy pitch). I wouldn’t say Puig threw a punch, looked more like a slap. Don’t know if that makes a difference.

• Walk - Jun 14, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Hinske did not throw a punch that I could see, I had to look several time, but he did put his hand in puigs face as he was pushing people back away from the dug out. I initially thought hinske punched him as well but after watching the video a few times and looking at other views off the fight I think he was pushing him away but definitely had has hand near where puig was hit. I could be wrong of course but I am a fan of neither team though like most people I am a fan of puig and can understand his anger but I do not condone his actions.

• commonsenseisnotcmonman - Jun 14, 2013 at 6:09 PM

MLBN just highlighted Hinske’s part. I see Hinske push the pile and I see Puig karate chop his head but I still dont see a punch from Hinske.

16. bisonaudit - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:43 PM

10 games for Kennedy is a joke.

The Dodgers said this wasn’t over and in light of the pathetic discipline that’s now been metered out I’m fully in the Dodgers corner on that.

The next dust up between these teams is on Joe Torre’s head.

• captainloaded - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:24 PM

I’m not a fan of either team, I just happened to be watching the mlb channel while all this was going on.
      As a baseball fan and watching this game just explode, I have to lay the blame on Kennedy. I don’t believe the pitch to Puig was intentional. Did the Dodgers retaliate, of course. They did it clean. It should have been over with after that. Then, Kennedy goes for Greinke’s head. I’m sorry, but this is a serious foul. He basically risked another guys career. That is why the Dodgers were so infuriated.

I believe Kennedy’s suspension is too light. He’ll miss a start and the Diamondbacks will reshuffle their rotation. Apparently, baseball needs a serious injury to happen, from the headhunting, to justify harsher penalties.

• captainloaded - Jun 14, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Please….anyone, tell me how my logic is wrong. If you dislike what I said here, I want to hear your argument. How is going for a players head the right thing to do?

17. jrgolson - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:44 PM

It’s baseball. Liberal bastards. That’s like saying football is too violent.

• sabatimus - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:44 PM

It is.

• historiophiliac - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Hey, thanks for spelling “liberal bastards” properly.

18. jrgolson - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Lolz. I would really hate for these professional players to risk getting hurt when they get paid millions to play a SPORT.

• nolanwiffle - Jun 14, 2013 at 3:05 PM

I think your point suffers when you begin your comment with “Lolz”. It seems like the way a twelve year old girl might sign her friend’s middle school yearbook. (No disrespect to twelve year old girls intended.)

19. ch0psuey - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Perhaps I am missing something here but I just don’t get the 1-game suspension for Belisario.

• alxonl - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Maybe the MLB realized the Dodgers would benefit more from a longer suspension, Belisario has been horrrible.

20. packmaneffsanfran - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:48 PM

13arod says,
    “Puig why didn’t he get suspented he was one of the main ones and mark only 2 GAMES mlb is stuiped ”

No sir, you must be “stuiped” if that’s how you honestly believe stupid is spelled. Also, Puig had a ball crash into his face…so maybe that was already penalty enough wouldn’t you say?

21. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:50 PM

MLB missed a golden opportunity here to set a message and get this headhunting out of the game for good. What Ian Kennedy did in no uncertain terms was a criminal act, assault with a deadly weapon. There is absolutely zero excuse for throwing a fastball at another player’s face, an act that could very easily have resulted in serious, and potentially fatal harm.

22. baddogjosie - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Kennedy should miss more than a start or two for headhunting and Grienke should miss at least a start for the Montero beaning. Nothing for Williams? Weren’t he and McGwire locked up? Not a fan of either team, but the Dbags are quickly becoming one of my least favorites, though they’ll never sink as low as the Red Sox.

• bisonaudit - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Grienke didn’t bean anyone. He hit an opposing batter in the back. A beaning is a baseball to the head. This is a non-trivial distinction.

• baddogjosie - Jun 14, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Okay, poor word choice on my part, but Grienke has a reputation, is a repeat offender and did intentionally hit an opposing batter in the back.

• bisonaudit - Jun 14, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Grienke did his job and it should have ended there.

23. wtfruthinkn - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:11 PM

These penalties are WAY too soft! Anyone throwing at guys heads on purpose should get suspended for the season along with his manager who told him to do it.

24. thatsrightmike - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Mattingly gets one game for not controlling his players or for roughing up the 90 year old Trammel? Good thing there was no hip broken during this incident…

• drewy44 - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:31 PM

FWIW, Mattingly is only 3 years younger than Trammel. Something to be said about going after your own age group.

That being said, I noticed no one wanted a piece of 63 year old Don Baylor.

25. historiophiliac - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I can’t believe the punishments are so light for throwing at heads. This is fertilizer.

• natslady - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:25 PM

I’m with you, history-lover. Can you believe the poster above who figures nothing should change because “That’s Entertainment.”

• historiophiliac - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:28 PM

I can kinda tolerate HBP’s if it’s in the leg or something, but heads and wrists should not be tolerated. They should come down severely on those. The only HBP that’s truly entertaining is, of course, the HBPiD.

• sabatimus - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:38 PM

If you’re referring to me, I didn’t say that nothing should change–you interpreted that out of my post. In fact, I think our discussion was more semantic than anything else. Perhaps I should have used “holds one’s attention” instead of “entertaining” (though one definition of “entertain” is very close to “holds one’s attention”). My point was that MLB doesn’t really care about stopping stuff like this. If it did, it would’ve been stopped a long time ago.

Me, I find it hilarious when grown men act like children. So it’s entertaining to me. But that doesn’t mean I endorse beanball wars. Just because I find it entertaining doesn’t mean there aren’t or can’t be serious consequences…namely, injuries.

Personally, I think Kennedy should be gone for 2 or 3 starts, and that MLB should stop using “games” as the bar for suspending starting pitchers.

• natslady - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:56 PM

@sabitimus. OK. I read a couple of your other posts and I think we are pretty much on the same side here. These little feuds and affronts and unwritten rules, they do add an edge to the games, and funny stuff happens when someone is retaliating for something that happened five years ago, and writers have to track down what it’s about.

But when you carry it over to headhunting and serious fighting on the field, that’s where I draw the line. That should not be a (major) part of the sport. Of course, you probably can’t eliminate it entirely, but you can make it clear that guys are on the field to play baseball and not to settle personal scores.

• natslady - Jun 14, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Yeah, I don’t know how you’d do that, though. Do you say Kennedy is limited to no more than 25 starts this season? What if he gets injured and the penalty never kicks in? Or do you just say, you are fined 10 games’ pay, but you can’t go on the field for 21 days?

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. R. Castillo (3637)