Jun 14, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Boston will get a player to be named later or cash in exchange for Ciriaco, who struggled offensively and committed a bunch of errors defensively this season after a solid 2012 in which he got the first regular playing time of his career at age 26.
San Diego wanted to add some veteran infield depth with Jedd Gyorko on the disabled list and Ciriaco is a career .287 hitter with a .713 OPS who’s played every position but catcher and pitcher in the majors.
- The beauty of belief 18
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 35
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 70
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 15
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)