Jun 14, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Boston will get a player to be named later or cash in exchange for Ciriaco, who struggled offensively and committed a bunch of errors defensively this season after a solid 2012 in which he got the first regular playing time of his career at age 26.
San Diego wanted to add some veteran infield depth with Jedd Gyorko on the disabled list and Ciriaco is a career .287 hitter with a .713 OPS who’s played every position but catcher and pitcher in the majors.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (353)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (194)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)