Jun 14, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Boston will get a player to be named later or cash in exchange for Ciriaco, who struggled offensively and committed a bunch of errors defensively this season after a solid 2012 in which he got the first regular playing time of his career at age 26.
San Diego wanted to add some veteran infield depth with Jedd Gyorko on the disabled list and Ciriaco is a career .287 hitter with a .713 OPS who’s played every position but catcher and pitcher in the majors.
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 28
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 45
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 48
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 90
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 8
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (101)