Jun 14, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Boston will get a player to be named later or cash in exchange for Ciriaco, who struggled offensively and committed a bunch of errors defensively this season after a solid 2012 in which he got the first regular playing time of his career at age 26.
San Diego wanted to add some veteran infield depth with Jedd Gyorko on the disabled list and Ciriaco is a career .287 hitter with a .713 OPS who’s played every position but catcher and pitcher in the majors.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 23
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 20
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 23
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 66
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 42
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (217)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)