Pedro Strop would prefer if the home fans stop booing him

Jun 14, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT

Pedro Strop AP

Orioles reliever Pedro Strop has been struggling, allowing eight runs in his last four appearances, and he was booed off the mound by the home fans last night after coughing up four runs while recording one out.

Afterward he talked about being bothered by the boos, telling Eduardo Encina of the Baltimore Sun:

I heard it when I was walking from the mound. Booing somebody like that–I was giving everything I’ve got to help the team win and to give a good show. … They don’t care about players. They care about good results.

It’s not a big deal. I know they just want to see good results, but at the same time, they don’t know what it takes, what hard work and dedication it takes to perform well. So that’s why they boo, because they don’t know.

I tend to agree with much of what Strop said, in that booing a player simply because he’s performing poorly–as opposed to, say, not giving a full effort–has always struck me as silly. Still, it’s tough to imagine there being any benefit for Strop speaking publicly about the boos.

The type of person who loudly boos a relief pitcher coming off the mound after a bad performance seems unlikely to read that relief pitcher’s thoughts in the newspaper and think: “Hmm, I never realized it could hurt his feelings. I’ll stop and tell everyone I know to do the same.”

Instead, next time Strop struggles I’d bet on the boos being even louder. Having delved into this topic quite a bit last year when Twins fans at Target Field were booing a struggling Joe Mauer, I know there’s nothing people who boo like less than being questioned about why they’re booing.

1. realgone2 - Jun 14, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Someone needs to explain to him that it’s the nature of the beast.

• goskinsvt - Jun 14, 2013 at 4:35 PM

“…the fan reaction isn’t personal. A boo is a reaction of displeasure. It doesn’t mean the fans dislike me. The same logic applies to a cheer. They’re not really cheering me, they’re cheering my home run. That’s why fans can boo a strikeout in the fourth and demand a curtain call for a homer in the eighth, and it’s easy for an athlete to forget there is a difference between him and his performance on the field.”
      Cal Ripken, Jr., The Only Way I Know

• largebill - Jun 14, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Of course some booing and taunts get personal, but the garden variety boo is mostly booing the result not booing the person as Cal explained above. If I cuss or boo after an opposition player hits a homer off my teams closer I’m booing the homer.

2. indaburg - Jun 14, 2013 at 12:28 PM

I’m not a fan of booing, especially my own boys. Since I was a kid, it never made sense. No one is purposely trying to be an eff up. Boy, would I hate someone booing me every time I messed up at work. “You missed that IV! You suck, nurse!! Booooo!!!” I have a feeling my second attempt will not go well. I don’t understand the purpose of destroying the confidence of the players of the team you supposedly support. Yes, I am displeased but I say nothing. Silence speaks volumes too. I know this from experience. I’m a Rays fan. I know silence.

But speaking out about it to the media? Big mistake. Tell your wife. Tell your mistress. Tell your therapist or bartender (same difference). This is like waving a red flag in front of a bull. There’s nothing a bully likes more than a crying victim.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 14, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Not debating your overall point – but “missed that IV”? Like….the needle is in my arm, but not in the vein? I won’t boo you…..but I may pass out!

• indaburg - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Yeah, as in I missed the vein. I’m a very good stick, but some people have difficult veins. Don’t boo. I’ll cry like Strop.

• heyblueyoustink - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:03 PM

I am going to boo my doctor because of this, just to see how he reacts.

• Francisco (FC) - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:38 PM

“Booo- “

• heyblueyoustink - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Also:

“I’m a Rays fan. I know silence.”

Is a fantastic tag line.

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I boo my Doctor all the time. But we are tight, he’s a smart ass and I have been going to him for 30+ years. I do not look forward to his pending retirement. The old crotchety bastard.

• gallaghedj311 - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Agree Agree Agree. I don’t go to Phillies games anymore because the fans who attend games ruin the experience for me. Heck, I can’t even listen to WIP anymore because idiot fans call and complain about nothing. I hate booing. Booing either positively or negatively affects the player/team. Sadly, most fans are either to dumb to realize this, or too drunk to care. And many of my fellow Philly fans are guilty of this. not all, but a good portion. There is no more 12th man in the stands or anything like that in Philly. No supporting the team. Heck I remember last year after the Eagles won week one, fans took to the phones to call for Reid’s head. After a win. Dumb dumb dumb. True fans support their teams through think and thin.

3. digbysellers - Jun 14, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Give a good show? That’s a new one on me. What’s this guy hiding & smokin’ outta his jock strop?

4. evanwins - Jun 14, 2013 at 12:31 PM

It’s a far cry (and he is crying) from his obnoxious routine he pulled in the WBC where he (and Rodney) acted like complete assholes every time he threw a strike. Reyes too. They should keep these struggles in mind next time they want to act like their the best thing to happen to baseball for doing their job.

• eightyraw - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Complete assholes? G-d forbid these guys have any fun in an international competition.

5. rockthered1286 - Jun 14, 2013 at 12:49 PM

2 things I’d like to point out:

1. “…and to give a good show.” No Pedro. We do not care about a good show (in that sense). I understand athletes are entertainers (in a sense) but your job is to go out there and pitch, not to put on a show for the fans. This to me (it’s a stretch) is part of the problem. He’s worrying about the wrong things. Like fixing his hat to be jacked sideways. Newsflash Pedro: ITS NOT A FASHION SHOW. We come to watch our team win. You are hindering those results more often than not.

2. The booing is not because he’s a bad player, it’s because we’ve seen what he has potential to be, and nobody knows where it went. I belive PC mentioned it this morning in ATH. Pedro USED to be a great reliever. His ERA last year prior to falling apart was under 2, his K’s were up, BB down. He looked like a mainstay as the setup man. Hell there was even speculation about him taking over JJ’s closer role and trading JJ at one point. But to see this fall from greatness (albeit short lived).. it’s hard for fans to accept this supposed “effort” and “giving it my all” when he’s been consistently terrible this season. He just does not seem focused on the task at hand, nor does he seem to have the mental capability to focus on pitching whenever he has runners on or in close games. He seems to panic and lose it, typically ending in a crooked number on the board.

So when he hears those boos? He shouldn’t be whining about his feelings, he should be focused on improving his game and figuring out what his issues are this year and hope he doesn’t get released since he has no other options at this point. Sucks, but that’s how the game works- get it done, or get out.

• eightyraw - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:58 PM

How much “worrying” goes into wear a hat with a brim off-center? I’d imagine it is the same amount it takes to wear it with brim in the center. Pitchers want to be comfortable. For some reason this makes him comfortable on the mound. I’m sure he is aware that pitching is not a fashion show.

6. specialkindofstupid - Jun 14, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Unfortunately, expressing your displeasure at being booed is only effective at ensuring you will continue to get booed.

Of course, don’t most players already know this? Maybe Strop likes being booed (some in sports get pumped up hearing it), so he’s pretending not to like being booed so the boos will keep coming?

He’s diabolical.

• dowhatifeellike - Jun 14, 2013 at 3:02 PM

If he likes being booed it sure hasn’t shown in his performance lately.

7. nbjays - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:01 PM

“Pedro Strop would prefer if the home fans stop booing him.”

One suspects that those same home fans would prefer if Strop would stop coughing up runs in bunches. Cause and effect, Pedro… cause and effect.

8. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:09 PM

I’m sorry, but I don’t feel bad for him in this scenario. The fans boo, because they are emotionally invested. That same investment is what causes fans to pay such ridiculous amounts of money to watch the games, to purchase merchandise, and to fund the salary of a man who plays a game for a living. Are we as a society too invested in sports? Absolutely we are. But hearing a millionaire complain about people booing just strikes me as a special sort of hypocrisy. It’s OK for us to spend hours upon hours reading about sports, discussing sports, watching games, buying jerseys and 6 dollar beers, and generally buying into a system that was setup and designed for fans to feel a part of the team, but god forbid fans show their frustrations with a player who has single-handedly lost several important games? You want the boos to turn into cheers? Play better.

9. albertmn - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:15 PM

I don’t see why pro athletes in any sport don’t get it. If you do well, we will cheer. If you stink, we will boo to let you know your performance was lacking. This isn’t tee ball where we will clap for your effort regardless of results. Use the boos to drive you to improve.

If you are going to take the money, and the cheers when things go well, expect the boos when they don’t go well. If you don’t want boos, play better.

• thebadguyswon - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I dont understand why some players take it personally. We boo to express displeasure. That’s all it is. No one is throwing shit at you and no one is threatening your family (at least in most cities). Its just booing.

• paperlions - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:54 PM

While nice in theory, if 40,000 people showed up where you work and expressed displeasure with your performance, you would take it personally. Everyone would.

• thebadguyswon - Jun 14, 2013 at 4:30 PM

If I cared what people think. Sorry bud, I have no sympathy for people in a career where the base salary was 455,000. None whatsoever.

• paperlions - Jun 14, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Well, fuck you then you dumb ass. Normally, I wouldn’t say that….but since you don’t care what people think, I figured what the hell. I mean, you don’t care anyway. :-)

/s

People don’t stop being people because they make a certain amount of money.

• thebadguyswon - Jun 14, 2013 at 9:48 PM

You are a low-rent idiot.

10. dowhatifeellike - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:17 PM

And the home fans would prefer if he stopped playing like horseshit. There’s a reason he was the only one left in the bullpen after last night’s extra inning.

11. sophiethegreatdane - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:22 PM

I don’t understand this idea that “people don’t get booed at work”. You probably do!

For instance, IfI mess up, my manager calls and ask what happened. If I were to do it again, he would (rightfully) have to get on my case. If I mess up a config for a customer, I get an angry call, and I have to fix the problem. I would effectively be getting “booed” by my customer. I take responsibility, and fix the problem, and stop screwing up because it hurts my team.

Try telling a three star general why he can’t send email as he’s yelling at you over the phone at 3am. I’d much rather get “booed” while being paid handsomely to pitch poorly. If a nurse couldn’t get an IV in my arm, I would tell her there’s a problem and ask for someone else. If she continued to mess up her job, I would tell her about it, politely. But many other folks, sick and/or injured may be far less kind.

Wake up, people. You get “booed” all the time. It’s the way of the world. We are talking about fans here (short for FANATIC, lest we forget). If there’s a player failing miserably at his job, time and time again, he will get booed. Home team or not.

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:26 PM

On point Sophie. People get booed in the workplace all the time. They just don’t recognize it as booing. When one of my employees screws up a project…guess who gets a call from the Customer? Guess what that Customer is doing on the other end of the line?
      Once that call ends…guess who gets booed next?

• realgone2 - Jun 14, 2013 at 4:38 PM

AMEN!!!!

12. Stiller43 - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Youre in the bigs being laid big league money. Sorry, being booed as a professional athlete comes with the territory.

Dont like it? Perform better.

13. stlouis1baseball - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Personally…I don’t boo any player for a bad performance. I think it serves very little purpose and it’s ultimately counterproductive. That in mind…people pay large sums of money for tickets, concessions, travel, etc… It is absolutely their right to boo if they choose. I just don’t think it serves them or the team well when they do so.

Qualification/Clarification: I do endlessly boo Brandon Phillips and little Joanie Cueto every time I see them. Batting practice, while shagging fly balls, while they take the field, when they are in the box, when they are leaving the field, when I see them after a game…ALL. THE. TIME.
    But it isn’t for bad performances. Both are fine baseball players. I just can’t stand Phillips’ loud ass shit talking mouth and Cueto….well…you know why.

• eightyraw - Jun 14, 2013 at 3:00 PM

LOL “Joanie” Cueto! That’s priceless.

14. pesky99 - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Now you are really going to hear it from the Baltimore crowd, waaa waaa!

That is not how to handle the booing, the way to handle that is to work with your trainers and coaches to find out what you are doing wrong, then go out and bust your butt working on it.

Another thing you might consider doing is learning how to wear your ball cap, wearing it to the side is undomesticated and not traditional. A large amount of Baltimore fans do not like the “cap to the side” fashion that you and a couple more pitchers around MLB are doing.

In short,
    Stop Whining, Do some research on your pitching mechanics, buck up and work it out, and wear your ball cap straight like a professional, and you should do fine!

15. deathmonkey41 - Jun 14, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Maybe they were booing him for the stupid way he wears his hat?

16. js20011041 - Jun 14, 2013 at 3:24 PM

I haven’t watched him a whole lot this year, but I did see the game against the Angels a couple days ago. In that situation, I think the booing was absolutely deserved. When he gave up the triple to Aybar, he completely lost focus after that. His body language looked terrible and it looked like he didn’t care. It looked like he was just throwing the ball in the general direction of the plate and hoping to get the inning over with. Having said that, I also think the way he wears his hat plays into it. I think most fans, orioles fans at least, would be ok with him wearing his hat anyway he wants, as long as he’s pitching well. If he’s going to suck ass, it’s time to straighten that motherfucker out. If you’re good, and you do stuff like that, you’re eccentric. If you suck, well, then you’re just an asshole.

17. dtrower1 - Jun 14, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Give me a break!! Strop is being paid to perform. He is NOT and cannot perform at an acceptable level. It is his AND Buck’s fault. When Strop enters a game the O’s lose. I feel the same way about some of our bench-sitters and automatic out Flaherty– though his defense ia acceptable

18. thebadguyswon - Jun 14, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Poor Strop. Try a real job you whineass. You wouldn’t last ten minutes.

19. Last Road Reviews - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Well I hardly feel bad for any athlete that gets booed based on the money they get. But you pay for your ticket you have that right.

Watching Jason Bay with the Mets the last couple of years or Ollie Perez it’s hard not to boo. However when Bay got injured and fears cheered that’s classless.

But you pay you have a right to boo.

20. tsuscrumhalf - Jun 15, 2013 at 10:08 AM

It’s the hat! Be a pro, straighten it out, show that you’re not trying to be bigger than the team. And, pitch better.

21. corvusrex96 - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Never boo your own team . Silence sure but booing does not help the situation . If you must boo then boo Buck Showalter for putting Strop in the game

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3094)