Jun 14, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
Rutledge began the season as the Rockies’ starting second baseman, but was demoted to Triple-A in mid-May. He’s been playing mostly second base in the minors, but Rutledge has primarily been a shortstop in the past and subbed for an injured Tulowitzki last year.
Renck expects Rutledge to be the main fill-in for Tulowitzki again, noting that “he was told in spring training that he would return to shortstop if Tulowitzki was sideline for an extended period of time.” He’s a career .323 hitter in the minors, including .348 in 17 games at Triple-A this season, but the 24-year-old’s lack of plate discipline and modest power are potential weaknesses.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (85)