Jun 14, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
Rutledge began the season as the Rockies’ starting second baseman, but was demoted to Triple-A in mid-May. He’s been playing mostly second base in the minors, but Rutledge has primarily been a shortstop in the past and subbed for an injured Tulowitzki last year.
Renck expects Rutledge to be the main fill-in for Tulowitzki again, noting that “he was told in spring training that he would return to shortstop if Tulowitzki was sideline for an extended period of time.” He’s a career .323 hitter in the minors, including .348 in 17 games at Triple-A this season, but the 24-year-old’s lack of plate discipline and modest power are potential weaknesses.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 15
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)