Jun 14, 2013, 3:15 PM EST
Rutledge began the season as the Rockies’ starting second baseman, but was demoted to Triple-A in mid-May. He’s been playing mostly second base in the minors, but Rutledge has primarily been a shortstop in the past and subbed for an injured Tulowitzki last year.
Renck expects Rutledge to be the main fill-in for Tulowitzki again, noting that “he was told in spring training that he would return to shortstop if Tulowitzki was sideline for an extended period of time.” He’s a career .323 hitter in the minors, including .348 in 17 games at Triple-A this season, but the 24-year-old’s lack of plate discipline and modest power are potential weaknesses.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 10
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 55
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 139
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (139)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)