Jun 14, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
Rutledge began the season as the Rockies’ starting second baseman, but was demoted to Triple-A in mid-May. He’s been playing mostly second base in the minors, but Rutledge has primarily been a shortstop in the past and subbed for an injured Tulowitzki last year.
Renck expects Rutledge to be the main fill-in for Tulowitzki again, noting that “he was told in spring training that he would return to shortstop if Tulowitzki was sideline for an extended period of time.” He’s a career .323 hitter in the minors, including .348 in 17 games at Triple-A this season, but the 24-year-old’s lack of plate discipline and modest power are potential weaknesses.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 5
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)